Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To oil change on kilometres, or calendar?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
true but....
the oil maybe good but if you have a lifter that is spalling or a valve spring etching
the retainer, you end up with metal in the oil
AND you really need to change the oil and filter soon and often!

One habit of mine .... comes from motorsport over the decades is cut open the filter when you change it
(as I did yesterday... no metal bits, fine filings or a even a silver sheen on the filter element = all good)

I would like to cut open more filters but the tool to do it is expensive and I can't justify the expense.
I work on a lot of euro cars and it's about 70% cartridge filters, so I see enough in that sense.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes.
I've thought about getting a filter cutter. It does no harm to check, but puts your mind at ease about condition.
Opening a filter without a proper cutter almost guarantees a bleeding hand or two.

And you get metal in the filter from the cutting disc or saw blade, so you really need the wheel type cutters.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I work on a lot of euro cars and it's about 70% cartridge filters, so I see enough in that sense.
yep...
the oil/filter change on the missus' 1 series M coupe is easy peasy ... cartridge filters are a bonus
no pulling the filter cutter from under the bench :cool:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
As we all know, the average service manual says "10,000km or yearly, whichever comes first"

But is this really appropriate for something that does low (a couple of hundred, or only a few thousand) per year?

I've never taken the calendar recommendation too seriously, and then stumbled across this short article today:

Discuss:
I Change our 4 cars on Yearly basis, oil and filter. The Monro it does ZERO K's and start it about 8 times a year, The Caprice V only does about around 30 to 50 k a years now that around 30 miles or less. The VR Commodore does 2500 K a year and the VE Anniversary does around 2000 k a year yet all get good oil.

Reactions: Lex

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
I do all my cars at 7500km oil and filter
Did one yesterday