Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To oil or not to oil

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
This is something that I've done a bit of research on and what I've found is that you do not use a vegetable oil as these oils go rancid.
There is an American company called John Boos who make "Authentic Boos Blocks Mystery Oil" - they also make chopping block and have so for years and years. The oil they sell is actually mineral oil. We use it on our blocks - we have 2 at home and our kids (7) who are all grown up also have blocks and use the oil (maybe 'cause I made the blocks for them and gave a bottle of oil)

Anyway, do a GOOGLE for "chopping block oil" and see what comes up.
Where can you get it from mate?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
As far as I know, Camphor Laurell is the only food safe timber used for chopping boards that naturally has anti-bacterial properties. For Jarrah i'd recommend cleaning it after each use and oiling every once in a while with olive oil.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
As far as I know, Camphor Laurell is the only food safe timber used for chopping boards that naturally has anti-bacterial properties. For Jarrah i'd recommend cleaning it after each use and oiling every once in a while with olive oil.
Olive oil goes rancid mate.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ok heres some industry research facts, from a guy in plastics :-

Timber boards are porous. Anything on t he surface that is slightly fluid will 'wick' into the board. Oiling Reduces but does not totally stop this.

in some instances, more dependant on the bacteria than on the wood, bacteria can actually grow / reproduce. Cleaning, oiling disinfecting can limit this, Choice of wood can also help limit this for a while, but eventually any anti-bacterial properties in the woods oils will be washed away.

Glass boards are impervious to moisture. that means there is no retention of bacteria in the boards surface. If there is any bacteria remaining afterwards it's because of the quality of the cleaning regimen.

Glass boards surface is extremely rough on a microscopic level, making them hard to clean well. They are also quite damaging to knives.

Plastic boards should only be made from Polyethylene. Many other cheap plastics are used but not considered safe for direct contact with food. PETE (Poly Ethylene Terepthalate - also known as PETP) is Not a food safe material once it has been in contact with temperatures greater than 65 degrees as it may swell trapping moisture. Nylon falls into the same category. PVC can leach stabilisers into fluids. Polyproylene is food grade depending on TYPE, which they never tell you. recycled plastics should never ever ever be used as they may contain voids, allowing fluids to be trapped.

Plastic boards have a relativley smooth impervious surface, which doesn't damage knives. However, knives can damage the surface of the board, creating pits and scores in which food residue can be trapped. If, after cleaning, any bacteria remains on a Plastic board, it's the quality of cleaning which is a problem, or the plastic used.

Suffice it to say - there are only 2 materials allowed in industrial and commercial food processing plants, for direct contact with food. Stainless steel (grade 306 only) and Virgin Polyethylene (usually specified as High Density Polyethylene - HDPE).

Of course there are specialty plastics that work as well. Virgin PTFE, POM, UHMWPE etc, but they are not as cost effective, so you don't see them.

The easiest way to test this for yourself is very simple. Get one of each type of board. Drop a single drop of food dye in the middle. Rub it well into the board with a finger. Rinse off quickly. Check to see which one has least dye in place. That is the board that absorbs least and releases most contaminants - of any sort.

By the way Do not trust any information published on the web from Specific plastic manufacturers. Companies like DOtmar EPP and similair often market their specific product under the banner of a plastic type. There version of a product such as ERTALYTE, which is a type of PETP, is not necessarily the same PETP someone else may be talking about. It's based on PETP yes, is it pure PETP - no. Plastics is a confusing industry :)

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You need a certain amount of bacteria around anyway, it's the body's way of building up it's immune system. If you sterilize your environment too much you will get sick the minute you step out your front door.

As long as you don't wipe the board down with a piece of raw chicken, you should be right.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Id throw away with the jarrah chopping block n get urself a laminated board that usually 1st year apprentices make in cabinetmaking (usually given away 2 markets ect...) otherwise u can make ur own, ask any cabinetmaker 2 keep their sink cut outs (may even have them layin around) as thats wats used neways. Nice timber (jarrah if u will) edging around the board and then sealed with some lacker and ur as good as cuttin on ur bench tops.

That said if u wanna keep the jarrah board do as above post has mentioned

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Id throw away with the jarrah chopping block n get urself a laminated board that usually 1st year apprentices make in cabinetmaking (usually given away 2 markets ect...) otherwise u can make ur own, ask any cabinetmaker 2 keep their sink cut outs (may even have them layin around) as thats wats used neways. Nice timber (jarrah if u will) edging around the board and then sealed with some lacker and ur as good as cuttin on ur bench tops.

That said if u wanna keep the jarrah board do as above post has mentioned
I have very expensive knifes so I actually want a surface that will falter rather then the knife blade..........I have a granite board as well that I use with my crap knifes.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
good knives make all the difference eh? i'd never cut on a sink cut out.... christ that bothers me to even think about!!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Just leave it, so long as you dont chop meat and raw food on the same board you wont die :)