Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To oil or not to oil

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ok everyone question, I have a Jarrah chopping board and can't decide if I should oil it or not and if so with what product.
Everyone I speak to has a different opinion. Seems timber naturally kills any bacteria in the board and oiling it seals the surface and you loose this property. Others say an unsealed board will allow bacteria to soak in to the surface.
Thoughts?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
as long as it's kept clean i don't think you need to oil it

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I'm no expert but personally I would definately oil it and continue to do so on a regular basis. I've always been taught that this is the proper way to use it, the wood is porous and if left untreated it will really absorb bacteria. Not just that but oiling it helps with the longevity of the chopping board because an unoiled board will soak up more water and other liquids making it more susceptible to warping and splitting.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
the timber killing germs is a myth, so nothing to lose there. Wouldn't bother oiling it though.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
if you're going to oil it make sure it's an oil that can be used around food

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Dave, yes you should oil it.

Used to use grapeseed oil once a month in my uncles restaurant. However, if its cracked, get rid of it.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
I used to make cutting boards amongs other stuff. Definately oil it, but use a vegetable oil. Rub it on with a paper towel. Hope that helps

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dave, yes you should oil it.

Used to use grapeseed oil once a month in my uncles restaurant. However, if its cracked, get rid of it.
Yeah we recommend grapeseed or pure tung oil to customers at work.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've seen a test on TV, forget if it was myth busters or 60 minutes or what, but the result was that timber does kill bacteria when washed and left to dry. Plastic and glass boards were the worst.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
This is something that I've done a bit of research on and what I've found is that you do not use a vegetable oil as these oils go rancid.
There is an American company called John Boos who make "Authentic Boos Blocks Mystery Oil" - they also make chopping block and have so for years and years. The oil they sell is actually mineral oil. We use it on our blocks - we have 2 at home and our kids (7) who are all grown up also have blocks and use the oil (maybe 'cause I made the blocks for them and gave a bottle of oil)

Anyway, do a GOOGLE for "chopping block oil" and see what comes up.