Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To Replace a Borg W 5 spd with a BW 6 Speed into VN SS

HSVMK

Reaction score
Hi All,
Please could anyone assist me in what is required in parts to install a 5.7L VY Commodore Borg Warner 6 Speed Gearbox into a VN SS with existing Borg Warner 5 Speed.

Cheers!!

Mick

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
The GenIII's use the Tremec T56 for this you would need at least a new bell housing, hydraulic clutch pedal and cylinder setup, new tailshaft and possibly modified crossmember, and speed sender adjustment device.

The aussie 5.7L strokers used the borg warner which are pretty much a straight swap (maybe crossmember and tailshaft changes though).

But if you can get your hands on the ZF 6 speed from the Group A's, that is the easiest one to use, if you're getting the tremec for a "really" good price you might as well snap it up as you could probably do a trade with a wreckers or something for a ZF if you wanted to, as the ZF's are expensive also.

HSVMK

Reaction score
Hi Toa,
Thankyou for your help here. I have the bellhousing & the crossmember from the VY though is that any use to me or do i have to search for a Converted Housing & Cross Member ? , I can use whatever parts from the VY that i require to make it all work.

Cheers!!!

Mick

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
Yeah I'm not 100% sure about the crossmember mate, I've not done much work on VN's, but you would definately need a new bellhousing to suit, Dellow or CRS would probably have them. Maybe give CRS (castlemaine rod shop) a call and get a price on one and they could probably tell you exactly what else you need to alter to make it fit, they should have the finer details and then you could chase up/modify/fabricate the parts yourself if you wanted to.

Cheers
Toa