Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

today defines the beggining aka no more smoking

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
agreed, awesome effort on cold turkey, my college has done that. its a good approach to quitting too.
i've tried it and have flown off the handle at dumb ppl that annoy me, when normally it wouldnt bother me. for me i get the cravings, and the patches work for me. an excuse, maybe, but i deal with social workers, they are brilliant at their job, but useless when it comes to PC's.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
good effort mate and im not being rude in what i say here but unfortunetly what works for one person doesnt always work for others i know your way worked perfectly for u coz like u sed u thought patches were bs so u dismissed it but i have faith that they could work so they may just work as u sed its a lot like mind over matter if u believe it, it will happen i know someone that quit from hypnosis coz he was open to the idea but im not so i doubt it would work but yeh unfortunetly every1 is different in the way they do things still none the less good advice and i appreciate the support :thumbsup:

thats cool.
each person will be different.
in saying that though, i believe that anyone can quit cold turkey.
id rather people at least give it a shot so they arent wasting anymore money needlessly if nothing else.
you just have to let go of the negative preconceptions like 'its hard', 'you cant do it', 'you must do this....or that or you'll fail' etc.
if you talk yourself into it being easy, it will be a lot easier than you think.
if you have any doubt at all that you will fail, guess what, you WILL fail.
thats the first thing you need to quit before you actually try and quit.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
thats cool.
each person will be different.
in saying that though, i believe that anyone can quit cold turkey.
id rather people at least give it a shot so they arent wasting anymore money needlessly if nothing else.
you just have to let go of the negative preconceptions like 'its hard', 'you cant do it', 'you must do this....or that or you'll fail' etc.
if you talk yourself into it being easy, it will be a lot easier than you think.
if you have any doubt at all that you will fail, guess what, you WILL fail.
thats the first thing you need to quit before you actually try and quit.

thats it u gotta get urself in the frame of mind my ex missus tried making me do it and every time i failed due to the fact it wasnt for me now the fact is i WANT to do it for ME so im positive ill succeed because i want to succeed

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I don't smoke, but wondering how much these patches cost?

I know a guy who quit, and ended up spending MORE money on the gum. (sure, its healthier, but part of the reason people quit, like this thread, is to save money)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
The patches aren't cheap, something like $30 for a weeks worth if I remember right (been years since I looked) so if you're a light smoker it may cost more to quit, if you're pack-a-day'ing then you'll probably save. You only use them for a short period anyway though, not the rest of your life, so either way you'll save in the long run.

Personally when I quit I just went cold turkey. For me it was 95% mental, I'd gotten to the point where I was just over smoking, wasn't enjoying it anymore, and every time I inhaled I was thinking about how bad this habit was.

It started with me throwing half-smoked cigarettes away, then one day I just said to myself "what's the point of this if you don't get anything out of it anymore?" and threw my last one away.

The "everyday" cravings went away in about 2 weeks, but it's true what people say about drinking - for the first 3 months or so I'd crave them if I went out for a drink, but since then has been smooth sailing (this was about 2 years ago).

Easy really, you just need to get yourself into the right state of mind - you have to WANT to do it.

FYI I smoked for 8 years.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I been smoking for about 2 years now
I used to smoke a pack a day, i have cut down alot now and saving alot of money

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I don't smoke, but wondering how much these patches cost?

I know a guy who quit, and ended up spending MORE money on the gum. (sure, its healthier, but part of the reason people quit, like this thread, is to save money)

My figures will probably be wrong as I haven't smoked for almost 18 months, but when I did smoke I used to buy styvies at around $80 a carton per week. The patches were about $32 for a weeks supply, so less that half of what I would have spent on smokes. I am sure it would be around the same ratio today.

I ended up going cold turkey and haven't smoked since.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
The doctors over here have a plan of patches I think its 12 weeks worth, you have to go see a nurse once a week (free) and the patches cost $2.50 a week.
In saying that Im still a full time smoker and tried patches, down fall to patches are they crazy scary dreams and the fact that if you smoke while on patches your getting worse off, when I came off patches and didn't quit I found myself smoking more than I did before the patches.

Patches are a good idea, but I seemed to rely on them more than the smokes, yes nicotine replacement is a good idea, but its still alot in your head that you need to sort out.

EDIT: I've been smoking for 6 years now. (23yo)

garywg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
Good on you , I smoked for 36yrs and gave up 4 months ago by using the lozenges. Still feel like a smoke at times but just say no, the feeling only lasts for a few seconds. Stick it out you'll be better off in the long run.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
i can say day 1 of cold turkey failed drastically because i was around it to much my weekend im gonna be at home coz im ill and dont have money so these next 2 days should be a good thing for me