Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

too hot??

quiksilver1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
hi,is it normal for the v6 to get up to 1/2 or 3/4 sitting at lights? it drops down once i get a good run but then heats up again at lights?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Yes and no, with the a/c on it should rise to near half way, the elec fan will then cut in cooling it down to near 1/4 fairly quickly, once under way it should drop quickly, but it should not go past 1/2 way, thermostat / radiator cap may need checking if all else works.

Start it up at home, turn on everything and let it idle and see if the thermo elec fan does indeed cut in when it should.

If the fluid has been changed good chance there is an air lock inside the block, start it up and when warm crack the bleeder on top of the thermostat housing, if air comes out first, problem fixed, lock up the brass bleeder when fluid only comes out.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
had a similar problem in my vp turned out to be radiator core.
check out yours.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Sounds just about normal, mine goes up to a bit above half when sitting in peak hour traffic, you can hear the thermo fan come on, and then it usually drops pretty quickly. In the summer months it does head towards 3/4 but again drops quickly when the thermo fan comes on.

Make sure you are running the proper mix of 50% concentrate and 50% water in the cooling system, after changing my old coolant to the genuine stuff I found the car was running heaps cooler.

SlyVR

Fo'sizzle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wags
yer mine still gets a bit warm at lights or traffic, not much u can do apart from make sure ur themo fans are working. if ur really worried about cooling u can

replace any of these parts which might need replacing
Radiator (leaks, cracks r signs, a new one aftermarket should cost about 149 bucks)
coolant (keep a eye on ur leves and make sure u still see a bit of green if u have replaced it recently)
themostate (not opening when hot, or too old)
waterpump (not working, or making stuipd sounds)
pipes (if bloated or cracked)
Radiator Cap (Normally best replaced with a new radiator)

quiksilver1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
cheers i might try re bleeding it,cant hurt..

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
ok i dunno if this is off topic to this but anyways.. so my car does the whole heat up in traffic thing but the fan kicks in.. PROBLEM.. should it clunk? i swear 2 god it clunked yesterday everytime it kicked in.. paranoid or problem??

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
could be some crap in the thermo fan that it moves when it starts up.

quiksilver1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
my thermos work,i dont notice a clunk mate. like said above the fan may be loose and clunking when coming on. give it a shake and see

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
yep - mine goes to half when stationery. The fan kicks in then. On the move its always below a quarter.