Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Too many kilometers?

SSbeast

Reaction score
A mate of mine wants to buy a VR-VS as just a reliable get around, everyone though he looks at are aroundd 300000Kms . I'm a Mechanic so i'm no afraid of fixing head gaskets and sensors and minor things, but i want to avoid pulling the engine out. What would be the most major and/or common problem with engines with that many ks? Thanks.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
I you are a mechanic you should know the answer to that question.

SSbeast

Reaction score
HAHA yeah your right i should, unfortunatly i'm a diesel mechanic and have only worked on two commodores, a mates, with head gasket, and changing rockers.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
the rear main bearing is a common thing to pack up so listen for a ratle in the bottom end and check for water leaks at the back of the motor.
and jack the car up and check that the panhard rod is doin its job and the rear wheels dont rock from side to side

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Where are ya, I'll know where not to take the diesel cruiser.

Engine is engine ? piston go up and down same same diff fuel, less compression, same bearings, pistons, valves, injected, yada yada, just no filthy black oil.

some extra sensors ehh ?

300k is a tad much but mine has 250k on it, uses not one drop of Nulon full synthetic 20/50 oil and goes like the clappers, any engine found with 225k and a good history on it is fair buying.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
ye mines got a tad over 250k on it and its still goin strong.. only issues are ur everyday age issues.. 300k is a lil high.. but ye there isnt that big a diff between diesel etc... what would u look out for in a diesel with high kms?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Mine has a fair rack of k's :$
350,xxx I think it is? I lose count.

Lost a bit of up'n'go, but reasonably reliable.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Diesel with high kms ? main thing is using oil, bearing knock and blowing blue smoke, pretty much the same as a petrol engine, just don't put petrol in the tank it will lift the head clean off the block - literally, a healthy well kept 2H is good for nearly 300k before any major repairs, replace air, oil and fuel filters often, change oil regularly and have good maintenance often and they are good to last ages.

Sounds like a 3.8 eco don't it ?

Had 3 diesels now so know a little bout the things, ya have to learn.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
if he's looking at a car with high k's chances are the engines may have been reconed not that long ago.