Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

too much oil!!!

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
:banstick: well, few of u guys will remember me recently posting about my tune concern :(.
i didn't mention it than, but i also had a service done by those guys (oil and oil filter), and just found out that they have had overfilled it with the oil :hmmm: its about 15mm i reckon over the max mark, so i've tried to ring them but they r closed over holidays, so 2moro i'm going to drain some oil and hopefully nothing bad hasn't happened to the engine yet. any suggestions what should i do? and do you reckon that may effect car performance as i complained from previous post? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Leave it alone. 15mm over is nothing to worry about. Your car has a windage tray in the sump among other features thạt promotes excellent oil control. 15mm over on the stick is only around 300ml extra oil. I'd be happy, no one ever gives **** for free these days lol

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
i wouldn't worry too much LSX engines seem to drink a bit of oil anyway it's standard practice to over fill them just a touch. my tuner told me to always put 6litres into my LS1 when the manual says to only use 5.7l. it would be a pain in the arse to just drain a bit of oil as well you'd be best to just dump the lot and re fill with fresh oil. not sure if 15mm above max is only 300mil though? i over fill my ls1 by 300mil as stated but the level only sits about 3-4mm above the max line.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
not sure if 15mm above max is only 300mil though? i over fill my ls1 by 300mil as stated but the level only sits about 3-4mm above the max line.

Same here but I run an extra 500ml. It sits about 4mm higher on the dipstick.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
there's a reason engine's have max fill lines. if oil level is over the line, I'd be draining it out.

just curious though, when you are looking at oil level has the car been sitting there off for a while (and of course nice and level on the ground) ?
I know basic questions, but just making sure. engine is off right?

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
When you overfill too much the crank gets to slosh around in oil and whips it up into a froth

It reduces performance due to the above fact and also introduces air bubbles (air doesn't lubricate and that's bad)

Drain it out mate and refill to full mark. I'd also rethink taking my car to the same people since they obviously don't care about their work.

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
there's a reason engine's have max fill lines. if oil level is over the line, I'd be draining it out.

just curious though, when you are looking at oil level has the car been sitting there off for a while (and of course nice and level on the ground) ?
I know basic questions, but just making sure. engine is off right?

yep, it's been tested first thing in the morning b4 start, and inside garage (looks flat) :)

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
ok guys, after bit of research this is what i've got: lose of performance, increase in fuel consumption, bubbles in the oil, to much pressure in the system which can cause crank shaft to seize and damage to you engine and also seals to brake.....:(