Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools & Tool Brands

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Belt drives are usually quieter, the pump doesn't have to spin as fast.
Ok I guess the typical 4wd arb compressors are direct? I have one in my landcruiser and it’s loud as, an unpleasant noise as well.
Good question. Belt drive is usally considered the preferable in the piston type, but also have a look at the diaphragm type compressors in direct drive. The diaphragm type are amazing quiet.

I got rid of a couple of old direct drive (piston) type compressors and replaced them with one of the diaphragm types. This was the one I went with (aluminium tank is a bonus too) https://www.totaltools.com.au/126874-ironair-36l-2hp-super-quiet-direct-drive-compressor-ttd1240al
That one does look good. And it’s it stock near me.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Good question. Belt drive is usally considered the preferable in the piston type, but also have a look at the diaphragm type compressors in direct drive. The diaphragm type are amazing quiet.

I got rid of a couple of old direct drive (piston) type compressors and replaced them with one of the diaphragm types. This was the one I went with (aluminium tank is a bonus too) https://www.totaltools.com.au/126874-ironair-36l-2hp-super-quiet-direct-drive-compressor-ttd1240al
Would love a "silent" compressor for the workshop, but they get bloody expensive if you want a minimum of 300+ LPM (9-10 CFM).
A 15 amp belt drive will have to do.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Would love a "silent" compressor for the workshop, but they get bloody expensive if you want a minimum of 300+ LPM (9-10 CFM).
A 15 amp belt drive will have to do.

I definitely understand. I had been looking at compressors for quite some time before I purchased the ‘silent’ one. I was initially looking at the one from Bunnings (with the 3 compressor modules, six diaphragms) but the reviews were concerning (parts missing from new, and unavailable as service parts).

I was limited by the physical size as I wanted the compressor to fit under a bench. The Total Tools one certainly fitted (sans handle) but it was relatively expensive. In the end I decided to go with it and loaded up my two old compressors and dropped them off at a metal recycler and then drove on to Total Tools and purchased the compressor. Yep, it certainly lightened the wallet but it has served the purpose well so far. It certainly isn’t ‘silent’ but it is relatively quiet. I have no regrets - so far! :)

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
C’mon, we need more Makita love here :p

1692957826397.jpeg

or is Metabo the go :rolleyes:

1692958310102.jpeg

Gotta love cordless :p:p:p

PS: I don’t have either :oops:

here’s a video for those that love to watch