Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools & Tool Brands

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have to disagree about the Taiwanese Sidchrome. I have a 3/8 drive socket set and it has been brill as are the spanners in the same kit. If I could pick one flaw it would be the 3/8 open end spanner. If the nut or bolt is really tight and you can't use a ring end on it then it can round the head. But is saying that my very early Sidchrome 3/8 combination spanner does the same thing.

I feel while yes there are top of the line brands on the most part they are not needed these days. If you buy Teng, Sidchrome and maybe some other brands they have lifetime warranty and immediate swap at a retailer who sells the brand.

Now some things you need Snap On as nothing compares and I would say the Snap On scan tool fits into this category as it can do more than just scan and reset computers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have to disagree about the Taiwanese Sidchrome. I have a 3/8 drive socket set and it has been brill as are the spanners in the same kit. If I could pick one flaw it would be the 3/8 open end spanner. If the nut or bolt is really tight and you can't use a ring end on it then it can round the head. But is saying that my very early Sidchrome 3/8 combination spanner does the same thing.

I feel while yes there are top of the line brands on the most part they are not needed these days. If you buy Teng, Sidchrome and maybe some other brands they have lifetime warranty and immediate swap at a retailer who sells the brand.

Now some things you need Snap On as nothing compares and I would say the Snap On scan tool fits into this category as it can do more than just scan and reset computers.
We have a Snap-on a G-scan a Autel and a old hanna tech at work and not one is a do it all scanner each has their strong points and weak points. All cost about 8k new. I have my own Snap-on Solus Edge I bought when I was operating my own buisness it's over kill for what I use it for now but it's handy.

With the open end spanners if you spend much time around mechanic shops you'll hear the same thing repeated and thats Snap-on flank drive plus are the best. The 16mm nut on the back of commodore P/S pumps is notorious for being tight and the FDP spanners crack them like nothing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My $3.00 19mm ring spanner been hit with a 4 pound hammer dropped and still its strong as the day it was made.:D
That's my old ones from when I was young and broke that I lend out to people as I've giving out good tools before and had them not returned, I know you don't lend out stuff but I guess I like helping when I can, things like power tools comes with owner only and any other thing I own that's not cheap. Kinchrome and Supatool are what I use in sockets and screwdrivers and ratchet spanners, I'm in the hunt for a new set of combination ring spanners I got my eye on a 30pc set made by NDI they have a lifetime warranty and look very nice problem is because of SARS 2.0 they have no stock in yet.
I have that Stanley air compressor the big one from supercheap paid 100 second hand as the guy couldn't work out why it was leaking air from the regulator, he brought a replacement part but he thought he stuffed it trying to replace it. It was a easy fix but it still leaked air out of the new regulator, in the end it was just a dirty stop valve so happy days.
I have a CIG welder and many of goodies to do most jobs, If I need to I just buy tools as I need them now.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have an SP brand tool kit, which was a large kit when I bought it...Can't remember the exact piece, but had sockets, spanners, screw drivers, pliers and a few other things, in 2 seperate boxes, that go together..

To date after 10 years or so, the only issue I have struck is the 3/8 drive ratchet stopped ratchetting about 3 months after buying the kit....It was replaced free of charge with an improved design and haven't had a problem since.

I do have a 3/8 drive snap on ratchet and the lever that is used for the direction the ratchet is going, has broken off...Trying to get the contact number for a rep that does my area of work or home, so it can be replaced, as the number I have, he doesn't do either area and won't do either area.....Won't even pass on the reps number that does either area too.

For the car I have a cheap 100+ Toolpro kit from Supercheap....Had it about 12 months and so far so good....But in fairness, haven't used it much, as it's there for emergencies....Majority of the time I use my Sp tools

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have an SP brand tool kit, which was a large kit when I bought it...Can't remember the exact piece, but had sockets, spanners, screw drivers, pliers and a few other things, in 2 seperate boxes, that go together..

To date after 10 years or so, the only issue I have struck is the 3/8 drive ratchet stopped ratchetting about 3 months after buying the kit....It was replaced free of charge with an improved design and haven't had a problem since.

I do have a 3/8 drive snap on ratchet and the lever that is used for the direction the ratchet is going, has broken off...Trying to get the contact number for a rep that does my area of work or home, so it can be replaced, as the number I have, he doesn't do either area and won't do either area.....Won't even pass on the reps number that does either area too.

For the car I have a cheap 100+ Toolpro kit from Supercheap....Had it about 12 months and so far so good....But in fairness, haven't used it much, as it's there for emergencies....Majority of the time I use my Sp tools

I bought a SP tool kit as an apprentice. I was cutting a shock wire that they used to hold new shocks with and the side cutters snapped in half never had that issue with Knipex. Every other tool except the sockets and spanners broke. My SP roller cab had a draw F out and they couldn't find me new slides so I went with Snap-on.
If any of my Snap-on ratchets die I get them rebuilt within a few days my Snap-on guy Mick will usally stop past and pick it up and do it for me. If I was desperate I could even go to his house.
I've never had to pay for about 7 rebuilds on my ratchets.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought a SP tool kit as an apprentice. I was cutting a shock wire that they used to hold new shocks with and the side cutters snapped in half never had that issue with Knipex. Every other tool except the sockets and spanners broke. My SP roller cab had a draw F out and they couldn't find me new slides so I went with Snap-on.
If any of my Snap-on ratchets die I get them rebuilt within a few days my Snap-on guy Mick will usally stop past and pick it up and do it for me. If I was desperate I could even go to his house.
I've never had to pay for about 7 rebuilds on my ratchets.

Firstly with snap on...Having to wait for your tools to be repaired, isn't really good service.....In this state, sometimes you have to wait a week for the rep. I have found with sp, the only issue I struck, it was replaced that day....

Reps....I have discovered I have to have the rep that does my areas.....The reps that do my areas, won't touch it....Must be the rep from that area....Again pathetic service

Rebuilding a ratchet 7 times in 11 years? Might be wrong with time frame, but I'm sure you've said that's how long you've been mechanicing.......It's saying it's not built too well to begin with....So it's put me off that product....

Lastly using side cutters on shock wire....Stupid....I use pliers, not side cutters....Side cutters are designed for electrical wire, not fencing style wire....That being said, I have used my side cutters a few times on fencing wire and they haven't broken....

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I was cutting a shock wire that they used to hold new shocks
I thought you just slip them off, I haven't once needed to cut one. But in saying that I don't no what car it was for. This shows you used the wrong tool for the job side cutter ant for hardened steel rods.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I thought you just slip them off, I haven't once needed to cut one. But in saying that I don't no what car it was for. This shows you used the wrong tool for the job side cutter ant for hardened steel rods.

They're mild steel and I cut them to size to make hooks.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Firstly with snap on...Having to wait for your tools to be repaired, isn't really good service.....In this state, sometimes you have to wait a week for the rep. I have found with sp, the only issue I struck, it was replaced that day....

Reps....I have discovered I have to have the rep that does my areas.....The reps that do my areas, won't touch it....Must be the rep from that area....Again pathetic service

Rebuilding a ratchet 7 times in 11 years? Might be wrong with time frame, but I'm sure you've said that's how long you've been mechanicing.......It's saying it's not built too well to begin with....So it's put me off that product....

Lastly using side cutters on shock wire....Stupid....I use pliers, not side cutters....Side cutters are designed for electrical wire, not fencing style wire....That being said, I have used my side cutters a few times on fencing wire and they haven't broken....

I have 8 or 9 Snap-on ratchets.
Knipex sales people promote how they can cut a 1/8th drill bit so they're made to cut wire.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have 8 or 9 Snap-on ratchets.
Knipex sales people promote how they can cut a 1/8th drill bit so they're made to cut wire.

Unfortunately you posting this about ratchets confirms the product isn't as good as what it is being claimed it is.....Personally I only have 2 of each drive, which to me should be sufficient no matter whether you are a casual mechanic o a full time mechanic...

And Knipex...I use this brand in the service van, to get crap out of tyre treads...I don't cut the stuff with them as it'd make it more difficult and time consuming getting the rest of the foreign material out, prior to commencing the puncture repair