Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

top gear strikes again

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
ok word of warning, the site may contain inappropriate banners...

but i'll say this much, the top gear boys go caravaning........
best bit is near the end...

enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
I think they're problem was what they chose to tow a 1000kg+ van with a Kia...even a diesel one...over here we'd tow that with at least a Commodore, Falcon, Magna, or Camry V6. England has a funny way of building cars...they aren't generally large, and still people like smaller cars.
Back around 1986, when I owned a 1979 TE Cortina with a worked 4.1 liter 6 and a four speed, I had fantasies about shipping it to England to scare the hell out of other Cortina drivers...over there, a similar Cortina would have come standard with a little 1300cc Kent engine, and the higher-up versions would have had the 1600cc Kent engine. If you really sprung for a luxury version, you'd maybe be able to afford a 2 liter OHC engine. Over here, the smallest Cortina engine in that model was the 2 liter.

The larger cars were the same...a Ford Taurus or a Vauxhall Carlton was normally fitted with a 4 cylinder...maybe if you were lucky, you'd be able to get a 6 cylinder if you spent up on an upmarket version.

Probably has to do with the fuel prices...a mate of mine who spent a few years in London didn't even own a car...public transport was so good he didn't even bother. He also said that the richer people driving jaguars or Rolls Royces were not only giving the image of "look at me, not only can I afford a Jag/Rolls Royce", but also "Look at me, I can afford the petrol to feed the thing."

Last edited:

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
rofl, limited to 30miles ROFL

we tow bigger **** than that round aussie roads at like 110 stupid poms :p

Jimboss

Reaction score
I can't beleive they actually set fire to 2 caravans.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
vystorm_adel said:
It all looked a bit staged and too convenient camera angle wise to me.....

I sincerely hope it was staged, otherwise those guys really are complete retards.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
When we had our own smallish van (14 foot Millard, towed by our old Fairmont GXL), I can assure you that even amongst other caravanners there was a hatred for people towing large vans or, alternatively, smaller vans with underpowered cars, who would either travel at 80km/hr and/or refuse to pull over as soon as safe to let traffic flow freely.
The pigheaded vanner who sat on 75km/hr lugging a 20 foot van with an asthmatic old Kingswood was viewed with as much distaste by them as by "normal" motorists, I can tell you!

We used to sit on 100km/hr, certainly never less than 90km/hr when in areas with steep hills, and as soon as we noticed faster moving traffic coming up in a bunch (maybe not for only one or two cars...they can overtake easily enough) or, say, a semi , we would pull over and let them go. It only takes common courtesy.

Jimboss

Reaction score
vystorm_adel said:
It all looked a bit staged and too convenient camera angle wise to me.....

I did suspect as much, unfortunately alot of the spontaneous things that happen on that show are staged, but still funny though