Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

top plate on front strut sits alot higher that norm

B

buzurk

Well i chopped my front springs so i can find a height i want, its a vt commodore, with fe2, after changing them and putting them back together, the caps, the one circled in the pic, they sit high, why is this?

Attachments

• Strut.JPG
    Strut.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,539

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
I cant see the pic for some reason but I recently changed the springs in the front and the plate thing didn't sit flush against the strut tower have you tried jacking the car up letting the weight pull it down and then tighten it up?

I will try and fix this on the weekend when I lower the front again

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Well i chopped my front springs so i can find a height i want, its a vt commodore, with fe2, after changing them and putting them back together, the caps, the one circled in the pic, they sit high, why is this?

Mine were sitting up high, changed the rubber bearing assembly and fixed the problem. They stretch over time. They are the rubber things that fit in the strut tower.

john41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
According to a guy at pedders, its normal. Previous commodores, the struts were attached by 3 bolts. These days the bearings just sit in a cup. The huge washer on top stops the struts falling out when you jack the car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it only did this when you chopped the springs, I would say you have either put something in wrong or left something out. The bush under the washer is the right way around?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Well i chopped my front springs

You foolish, foolish boy. Chopping springs to lower cars went out with button-up flies in your pants. Your car is unroadworthy. If you have an accident your comprehensive insurance will not pay (which is actually a silly comment now that I think about it - if you can't afford new springs you certainly can't afford comprehensive insurance). New springs are cheap. Potentially your third party insurance is also invalid so I pity any people you injure in car accidents. End of rant.

B

buzurk

lol, feel better now, u dont know the full story mate, the car is actually off the road getting a fiberglass boot done, so i wont be hurting noone unless they come in my garage then, its there own fault so before u got keyboard warrior on me, get ur facts right and answer the question at hand not come in here and act like some senior authority

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
But why is the car on chopped springs in the first place?? Even its in the garage. have it been driven on it before or is it just to see what it looks like lowered??

B

buzurk

just to see what height i want man
i had a a spare setta springs, had to remove strust anyway to fit new strut brace so i chopped em and threw em in