Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top Radiator Neck (Fix) LS / V8

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Caution: This is experimental, so do at your own risk.

This issue has been around for years, but thought I post up my progress on a "maybe" fix. And also to hear feedback.

So if you came across your hose popping off, then you most likely came across the why? The dreaded neck snapping off at the end which gives us nothing really to clamp on to as you can see below. In my case I accidentally lent on it and snapped it off lol.

1.JPG

After countless hours on google and different forums I somehow came across this item "28.5mm Pushfit Hose Sleeve Seal" for less then $10.
https://www.rvsupercentre.co.nz/waste-pushfit-hose-sleeve-seal-28.5mm
4.PNG

Which is honestly the most perfect fit you could ever ask for.

The only thing I am not 100% familiar with is the material which is "Santoprene" rubber, but a quick google seems to show it can handle temperatures between " -60° C to + 135° C (-81° F to +275° F) with no cracking or tackiness". Basically its near or just below the same material used on the radiator hose, which is EPDM rubber.

So I sanded flat the broken edge with sandpaper & block and roughen the neck. No Images.

Grabbed some JB Weld High Heat Epoxy, I went with High-Heat as it seems to have better reviews compared to extreme-heat, which made me think they possibly put more effort into making it handle heat over the bonding. Who knows, anyways...
jbweldcom_575240777.jpg

Put in the epoxy, pushed it on and let it sit overnight.
2.jpg

the next day, I tried to forcefully pull it off but there was no budge, i felt like i was going to crack the radiator more then pulling it off.

Next step, i kept the original Clamp to use as a another safety holder to make sure the pushfit sleeve does not come off inside the hose and travels to a place it should not (see pic below) (However, I am skeptical that I am actually putting more pressure on the hose to pop off, but at this moment I will give it a test) I used a hose clamp that I can tighten with a flat head up as front as I could but leaving some of the hose. So basically the sleeve acts as a Nipple to keep the hose on.

3.jpg

The pull test is great!

The only test I have done so far, is a 1 hour drive trying to get temps to stay over 100c. But the fans are just too good, and brings it back down to 94/95. I was using engineer mode to keep an eye on the temp.

Anyway, I will do this everyday this week, and they decide if i should pull apart and check everything or just keep it like this. Am keen to hear feedback, especially if you know alot more regarding these Santoprene sleeves and or High Temp Epoxy.

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Santoprene (in all its various grades ) is quite a reasonable choice of material here, it is a thermoplastic elastomer
Usually 'natural' in colour it can be dyed in various colours (black, blue red etc)

we use it at work as a raw material to mould various ends on hoses... like a dishwasher or washing machine outlet hoses
(although ours do not get dyed)

Unaffected by most things (acetone, glycol, solvents)continued heat at around 135-140° should be avoided which is really not a problem in most automotive uses.

Like most TPEs it is not cheap (like PVC or PP)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Eh, I'd just get a new radiator. The neck snaps off because of years of heat cycling and pressure making the plastic brittle. The entire end tank is also exposed to this cycling. Of course the neck is the weakest most strained point so it breaks first. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great when people try to fix things like this, but it's a sign that the end tank's best days are behind it. It could last months or it could last years and years, but knowing my luck it would break at the most inopportune time, a new rad is cheap insurance.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Eh, I'd just get a new radiator. The neck snaps off because of years of heat cycling and pressure making the plastic brittle. The entire end tank is also exposed to this cycling. Of course the neck is the weakest most strained point so it breaks first. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great when people try to fix things like this, but it's a sign that the end tank's best days are behind it. It could last months or it could last years and years, but knowing my luck it would break at the most inopportune time, a new rad is cheap insurance.
I tend to agree mate, I think good on him for his innovative idea and will be interesting to see how it holds up over time but as you said a new radiator is cheap enough may as well just replace it

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV

In my case, I snapped it off by leaning on it :) So end of life for me could mean X years? or.... Either way if I didnt snap it off my self I would still be driving it. But yes, if you notice more wear then maybe you are right to replace it.

I tend to agree mate, I think good on him for his innovative idea and will be interesting to see how it holds up over time but as you said a new radiator is cheap enough may as well just replace it

In NZ, we are looking around $350 for an aftermarket radiator, genuine was more. $100 or so on Coolant / Water, The labour and the chance of ruining the water pump if you dont bleed it properly lol. If you take it to a shop to do, its around $650 which was my last quote.

My fix above, = 20 minutes labour that most can do, a mince and cheese pie in the other hand, and $20 :)

Remember its only the nipple part of the neck why it keeps slipping off. 99% of the radiator is exactly how it was before it snapped off :)

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Day 2: After another good hour or so drive on the open road keeping temps as high as I can lol, still good. I dont want to take a video of me doing it, but the pull test seriously feels like its gonna be a hard one to pull off. I feel the neck it self would snap somewhere else before the hose will pop off if something were to happen. But I will update as I go.

Reactions: Lex

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
In my case, I snapped it off by leaning on it :) So end of life for me could mean X years? or.... Either way if I didnt snap it off my self I would still be driving it. But yes, if you notice more wear then maybe you are right to replace it.

In NZ, we are looking around $350 for an aftermarket radiator, genuine was more. $100 or so on Coolant / Water, The labour and the chance of ruining the water pump if you dont bleed it properly lol. If you take it to a shop to do, its around $650 which was my last quote.

My fix above, = 20 minutes labour that most can do, a mince and cheese pie in the other hand, and $20 :)

Remember its only the nipple part of the neck why it keeps slipping off. 99% of the radiator is exactly how it was before it snapped off :)
I’m in NZ too mate I did mine a couple of years ago and I think I paid $300 from fenix radiators, labour was free as I did it myself and as you say coolant costs a bit extra as well, bleeding them is easy enough too…. I like your idea and hope it holds up for you

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
If your coolant isn't that old there's no reason you can't capture and reuse it

Good fix. I'm way too paranoid to trust a fix :)

i am def paranoid at the moment lol My tests are rural and close to home so i am pretty much pushing it hard while keeping an eye on the temp through engineer mode. Highest temp ive gotten to with NZ sun so far is around 105c then the fans kick in and it drops to the 90s.