Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top Speed

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Na, they're not limited. If your car cut out at 240 it was probably the rev limiter. Fords are governed at 240. I'm 100% sure Holden's aren't. Otherwise, how could Scope get 260 in an SS, and how come manual HSV's max out at 273km, which happens to be right on redline in 5th? Holden's have never been governed.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
And I'm pretty sure up until (I think) the AU, maybe even up until the BA, the Ford 6's were governed at 180

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
camvyss said:
Are you sure these figures are right? The speedo on the SV8 and SS goes to 260Km/h. I'm thinking you mistyped the 412Km/h though.

No definately 250 the speedo goes to not 260 like the ss, and the 412 is correct I set it with HPT not that it will ever go that fast :yeah:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
not really........the mclaren F1 got to 381kmh around the autobarn in germany before it ran out of fuel

limited cv8r

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8-R monaro
Does your speedo stop at 240 if so you could use the mode button trick to enable the digital speedo display in your dash which will show speeds past were your speedo stops. Also the only holdens that were speed limited were utes 210Km/h or 130Mph I think. The 412Km/h setting is the max allowed in the callibrations,holden will usually use the max number whether it be speed,temp or rpm in thier callibrations to dissable that function.

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
limited cv8r said:
Does your speedo stop at 240 if so you could use the mode button trick to enable the digital speedo display in your dash which will show speeds past were your speedo stops. Also the only holdens that were speed limited were utes 210Km/h or 130Mph I think. The 412Km/h setting is the max allowed in the callibrations,holden will usually use the max number whether it be speed,temp or rpm in thier callibrations to dissable that function.

The last number on mine is 240 but actually reads to 250( 2 digits below the 240) where SS's read to 260 the digital speedo can be put up on the screen though to have it done permanently you need tech2 but have a friend in the territory in his VYII Clubby and his digital speedo still stops at the max speed of the analoge one and have a vid of him doing it and this thing has heads cam exhaust tune etc etc

limited cv8r

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8-R monaro
I know for a fact that the older models like on a vx ss the speedo's only went to 220Km/h, you had to enable the digital display if you wanted to know your actual speed above that.On the vy's hold down the "mode & set" buttons at the same time while turning the key on. It will bring up some callibration stuff, scroll through with your "mode button" untill you get to speedo. There are other things in there like coolant temp,tacho etc.
See how you go,if I get a chance in the next couple of days i'll test it out on the monaro, I know 260 on the clock isn't a problem just never really been that curious as to how much faster it goes.Might be safer just to data log it!!!

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
Yes have done it that way myself as you said by holding down tha buttons cant remember what the speedo goes to on a clubby but the friend I reffered to has seen it stop and he continued to get faster it stopped at the same speed as the speedo..

Cheers
drew

B

brcko

Forget Holden Speedo. Just put a GPS in your car and find someone brave/crazy enough to read/record the actual speed. :w00t:

BTW, 400+ km/h with standard car is not possible in real life. Even with enough HP under the bonnet, the tyres would tore apart on that speed because the best tyre you can buy carry "Y" or "Z" speed rating (max. 300 km/h)