Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top strut bushes

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
I just replaced my top strut bushes and bearings with Nolathane ones, when I lowered the car back down there is a gap in the top washers worse than the stuffed bushes had. Driving the car you can hear the knocking over every bump. Has anyone had any experience with Nolathane strut bushes, I have heard to avoid them and use the rubber ones. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Is the cup washer under the top plate concave side up? So that the nut sits inside it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sumting Wong

Is the bottom washer concave down? Is the nut tight? Is it sitting in the recess in strut tower properly? Is the spring seated correctly?

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
Sumting Wong

Is the bottom washer concave down? Is the nut tight? Is it sitting in the recess in strut tower properly? Is the spring seated correctly?

Yes to all of the above, I am tending to think it is the Nolathane bush that is the problem.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I fit Super Pro, which are the same apart from the name, never had a problem with polyurethane strut tops. Did you do the bearings as well?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's still unusual for them to knock. If they make a noise then something isn't fitted correctly.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
I went with Polytuff when i did mine. I researched Nolathane on the internet and found but good reviews and opinion of them. However, a guy i work with put Nolathanes top hats in his VEs1 and said he got sick of the knocking noises.....no idea if that was because it was incorrectly fitted or what. Genuine question here, are you qualified to fit them? If no then perhaps get a mechanic to look them over for piece of mind?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Take the big washer in the engine bay off and is the nut which holds the bearing onto the strut super tight? To me, this is the only thing that would make it knock if it was loose.