Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top strut bushes

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
I went with Polytuff when i did mine. I researched Nolathane on the internet and found but good reviews and opinion of them. However, a guy i work with put Nolathanes top hats in his VEs1 and said he got sick of the knocking noises.....no idea if that was because it was incorrectly fitted or what. Genuine question here, are you qualified to fit them? If no then perhaps get a mechanic to look them over for piece of mind?

I am an ex mechanic, although I havn't done a lot in 20 years, but I am 100% sure it is all fitted correctly. Including all the other front end bushes, new hubs, struts rotors and pads. I have heard some bad reports about Nolathane strut bushes, and what you said may just be right.

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
Take the big washer in the engine bay off and is the nut which holds the bearing onto the strut super tight? To me, this is the only thing that would make it knock if it was loose.

I have tried that, they are as tight as I can get them with a big breaker bar.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hey champ, just a thought have you actually checked and measured that the POLY are exact the same size as per OEM rubber, as it don't matter how tight you go, if the O/D is undersize you,ll never get them to pull up.
Just because they are new and part # match don't mean their not faulty,
Cheers mate, just my two bobs worth, as the amount of **** we get in at work that's either under/ oversize by a mm or two, ( Due to being mass produced ) has taught me to measure and check to see its what it should be.

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
No, I actually haven't checked that, you would like to think a brand new part is the correct dimensions lol.
I have seen in another thread that maybe the springs are in wrong, apparently there are a couple of locating points for them on a VE.
Is this the same for the VY's? I am positive when going back together there was only one way the springs located on the strut.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
They can only go one way. (If you don't count upside down lol)

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
They can only go one way. (If you don't count upside down lol)

lol, they are definately up the right way. The only conclusion I can come to is that Nolathane strut bushes are crap, or I got a couple of dodgey ones. Buggered if I know!! lol

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
The link pins tightened up enough? I had mine out one day and thought for all money i had it home and tightened. Turns out the end that went through the sway bar must have been on a slight angle and didn't pull in square.

ss Drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy SS Crewman
I will check it all again tomorrow, but pretty sure new link pin and bushes are all tight.