Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torana concept

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
They could bring it back yet, its something I could see them doing before ceasing manufacturing here and then producing the car overseas to draw the patriotic/nostalgia heads into the showroom. Would all be smoke and mirrors though.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just call it something different. The Torana was then, this is now. Just like the Monaro, the Commodore coupe is just that, a Commodore coupe, it's not a Monaro.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just call it something different. The Torana was then, this is now. Just like the Monaro, the Commodore coupe is just that, a Commodore coupe, it's not a Monaro.

I've often heard or read this comment and want to know why people feel that way about the later Monaro's.

After all, the original HK Monaro was just a Kingswood coupe, based on a four door sedan but given its own special name. You could buy a 161, 3 speed non-synchro first, drum braked Monaro, mechanically identical to the basic HK Kingswood. The GTS versions were far better cars, but were still basically just heavily upgraded Kingswood coupes.

The CV6/8 and later Monaro's were Commodore coupes, in just the same way as the originals, based on a four door sedan but substantially improved in comfort and equipment levels. So what's the problem with calling them Monaro's too?

Beats the crap out of me why people think it was wrong to call them Monaro.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Because imo once a car name ceases production for 30 odd years it shouldn't be called the same car again.
Cars "evolve" from model to model. To put out a car 30 odd years later and say "look its that car you all love and appreciate it because of it's heritage" is just trying to make a buck off the name, which kind of tarnishes it.

The torana has had its day, everyone remembers it. It was and still is a great car but don't go making some futuristic crap and trying to palm it of as a torrie cause it's not.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Because imo once a car name ceases production for 30 odd years it shouldn't be called the same car again.
Cars "evolve" from model to model. To put out a car 30 odd years later and say "look its that car you all love and appreciate it because of it's heritage" is just trying to make a buck off the name, which kind of tarnishes it.

The torana has had its day, everyone remembers it. It was and still is a great car but don't go making some futuristic crap and trying to palm it of as a torrie cause it's not.

So, there should never have been a re-invented Dodge Charger? Chev Camaro? What's with the "30 year edict"? So what if the car has been out of production for a long time? Volkswagen seem to do alright with the New Beatle. BMW do OK with the Mini.

If a car name was successful and epitomises some iconic or memorable period in the company's evolution, who says you can't revive it?

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't agree. Neither of us is wrong, but the car companies obviously don't agree with you.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Car companies are in the money making game, not whats right or wrong. (Not that our opinions are right or wrong)
All the cars you mentioned share somewhat the same look and characteristics as the previous models from years ago.
The torana concept only shares its name
Maybe if they made the new concept model like the mini, charger, camaro etc... people wouldn't mind so much?

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
I've often heard or read this comment and want to know why people feel that way about the later Monaro's.

After all, the original HK Monaro was just a Kingswood coupe, based on a four door sedan but given its own special name. You could buy a 161, 3 speed non-synchro first, drum braked Monaro, mechanically identical to the basic HK Kingswood. The GTS versions were far better cars, but were still basically just heavily upgraded Kingswood coupes.

The CV6/8 and later Monaro's were Commodore coupes, in just the same way as the originals, based on a four door sedan but substantially improved in comfort and equipment levels. So what's the problem with calling them Monaro's too?

EXACTLY Right. There are more unique parts on the new generation Monaro's than there were on the first generation..
Holden badged them Monaro. They are Monaro. Simple really.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

I'm with you entirely but you should know the shitstorm people get into over a name. I'm sure you saw the crap over Pontiac using the GTO name plate and then when GM heeded their displeasure they called it a G8 only to have more people bitching. Just go look at the crap over the "SS" nameplate :bang:. Haters gonna hate.