Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torana may be on its way back

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Torana may be on its way back

CARMAKER Holden may be hatching a plan to bring back the legendary Torana.
Wheels magazine says the idea of a new mid-sized, real-wheel-drive that captures the same spirit as its namesake, is germinating deep within the company as Holden contemplates the longer-term outlook for its manufacturing operations.
The magazine says while the company recognises that its future lies with building front-wheel-drive vehicles, it is also conscious of its sporting, rear-drive heritage.
It believes the concept of a new Torana lies in a localised version of a US model, the Chevrolet Code 130R, which was shown as a concept at the Detroit motor show in January.
While not yet approved for production, the Chevrolet is based around the idea of a compact rear-wheel-drive coupe with a four-cylinder, turbocharged engine that could also have enough room under the bonnet to take a V6 or even a V8.
If the car is approved for the US, the chances of it also coming to Australia are good, Wheels says.
The idea also has some support within the company with General Motors executive director of international operations Mike Simcoe enthusiastic about the prospect.
"Would I like to have a compact rear-wheel-drive performance coupe like that in any portfolio? Yes," Mr Simcoe told Wheels.
"Given that Australians - and particularly Australians who buy Holdens - are essentially enthusiasts and they enjoy driving agility and the character of rear-wheel-drive, then it makes sense."
Mr Simcoe also appears keen about the idea of calling it a Torana, saying it would be doing all the same things that the original Toranas did back in the 1970s.
At the same time the man who was the design chief at Holden when the VT and VE Commodores were developed is also cautious.
He told Wheels that the worst thing a carmaker could do was devalue a heritage badge by sticking it on an unworthy car.
"But judging by what we know so far, Code 130R doesn't fall into that category," the magazine said.

Torana may be on its way back | News.com.au

chevrolet_100376543_m.jpg

101215_am_our-76t_00011.jpg

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Just saw this article, I don't know about this idea. I mean, yes I would buy it, I love the idea of a compact litte coupe with a massive engine in the front + RW Drive. I don't know if it would sell well in Australia, I don't know if the Malibu will sell all that well in Australia, I think Holden is trying to find it's place post Commodore dominance.

Anyway, no-one's really gonna know till they release it, I would seriously consider buying it - especially since we aren't getting the Camaro.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
That has got to be the worlds most ugly car.

It's looks like a Mazda 6 crashed into a Camaro and hatched that abomination.

Yes Holden needs to find something to replace the commodore once production on that stops, but dear god don't let it be this.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
isn't it just going to be the malibu?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the concept of a compact rear wheel drive performance orientated car is great
but yeah, that thing above is damn ugly. Some potential with the nose, but the side profile has no hope

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Compact RWD V8 = Win...BUT that red thing above is ugly as.

Doesn't compare to the LX.

He told Wheels that the worst thing a carmaker could do was devalue a heritage badge by sticking it on an unworthy car.

Aint this the truth.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
At the same time the man who was the design chief at Holden when the VT and VE Commodores were developed is also cautious.

Well if he was responsible for the look of the VT & VE I would hope they keep him away from this torana otherwise we could all be bleeding from the eyes on it's release date.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
chevrolet_100376543_m.jpg

Also....this looks like a squashed down RX8? or am I the only one that see's that?