Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torana V8 Options

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hello all Just Commodore Members,

I am writing here today to seek help from within the community.

Recently I came to acquire a SLR 5000 Torana. I am posting here to feed of the knowledge of members and hopefully decide on which engine to put in it.

I will start by saying that my budget is $20000 which must include all running (turn key gear), as well as radiator and piping etc and gearbox. I currently have a 9 inch diff also.

What engine should I put in?

308, 304, Chev, LS1? (With this engine in mind, should I go the stroker option, forced induction way or? )

Thankyou for your help!!!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
is it an original slr?? what happenecd to the original running gear? matching numbers and a restoration would be my choice for such a sought after muscle car

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Only thing that is missing is the original numbered motor.

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh dam that sucks, well id go for an ls engine, doesnt have to be an ls1, ls2s can be picked up as a crate engine for a tad over 5 grand

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Just reading over the net tonight, I have discovered that a LS1 is out of the question.

Is it possible to stamp my old engine number onto a new engine, in QLD?

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
umm pretty sure thats illigal lol... whats wrong with puttin an ls engine into it?

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
The fact, that the engine sits really close to the firewall and that the tunnel will need to be modified for a T56 Trans. Also, with the little knowledge and help available, I feel that I may be caught, with excessive costs.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's alot of work to put a LS1 in a Torana, best option is for sure a 355 Holden with a harrop single plane manifold, crane 280 cam or something similar, good heads and good compression. That's a proven around 500 hp combo and that's good enough :). Just make sure the heads are done by someone top notch and it'll make big power. The gearbox will want to be a good turbo 350, I don't think a T400 will fit easily into a Torana. Use a good crank too. With up to 20 grand to spend you should come in under budget and have a solid reliable 11 second car

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
The next debate is whether to go a 304 EFI Stroker Option, 308 Carby Stroker or a Chev Stroker.

What are your thoughts for reliability and power?