Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'torque converter lockup issues'

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
hi guys just recently done a injected 8 and t700 conversion on my vk and havin issues with the lock-up converter doing all the wrong things.

Just a stock vn 304 did all the wirings ourselves, the converter is a pro converters 2500 auto is the ussual sift kit, clutches, band, ect ect. 3.9 gears.

First gear is sweet, no lock up, stalls to 2500ish change to second is fine too.
once it get a halfway through second converter locks up. id say as little as 30-40kph. stays locked through 2-3 change also 3-4 change. imagine dumping the clutch in a manual while driving normals. almost bunny hopping.
ok so converter is locked everywhere above 40ish kph no matter wat the throttle is doin (cruise-full throttle). while cruising if i back off u can feel the conveter disengage, revs cum up a bit but as soon as u give it throttle, half second later locks back up. interesting to drive at freeway speeds, doin 110 locked up doin say 2200 back right off or evan just to light throttle, converter unlocks, revs cum up then back on throttle to speed up or when u give it **** to overtake it f*ckin locks up!
been through wiring three times all seemed sweet, added another wire that wasnt there from shifter to tell the ecu wat its doin but still no good. also replaced speedo sensor cause a wire was broken (thought that would have been a sure fix :[ )
the trigger wire for the lockup ( grey/red i think) changes with throttle input, its getting 0.05v when on throttle, 13.5 off throttle. i thinks thats all it does. doesnt seem to change voltage at 80 like u think it would.

gonna try a TPS see how that goes but dont think thats the problem. have been drivin round with the terminal out of the plug so it doesnt work at all HELP ME please all u gurus out there..... its drivin me crazy...

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
What is the donor car and what did you do re the speed sensor(s)? VN-VP are different to VR-VS, VT. The torque convertor lock up will be screwed if the speed sensor signal is wrong.

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
vn v8 auto i bought else where its a t700 non elect so i got the right sensor got a few mate from holden
the forman there rekins it could be the temp sensor in the auto. apparently if the auto gets to hot the sensor tell the lockup to turn on so it can cool the oil back down? if its a dodgy sensor it could explain it
does anyone know if its common to replace this sensor in a usual trans rebuild? cause the auto is only 3000km max since reco

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
He may be correct. The PCM does use the Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) sensor to regulate torque converter clutch apply as well as shift quality. You should check your DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in the PCM. If there is a problem with the TFT sensor circuit then you should have DTC 58 or 59 set.