Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'torque converter lockup issues'

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
hi guys just recently done a injected 8 and t700 conversion on my vk and havin issues with the lock-up converter doing all the wrong things.

Just a stock vn 304 did all the wirings ourselves, the converter is a pro converters 2500 auto is the ussual sift kit, clutches, band, ect ect. 3.9 gears.

First gear is sweet, no lock up, stalls to 2500ish change to second is fine too.
once it get a halfway through second converter locks up. id say as little as 30-40kph. stays locked through 2-3 change also 3-4 change. imagine dumping the clutch in a manual while driving normals. almost bunny hopping.
ok so converter is locked everywhere above 40ish kph no matter wat the throttle is doin (cruise-full throttle). while cruising if i back off u can feel the conveter disengage, revs cum up a bit but as soon as u give it throttle, half second later locks back up. interesting to drive at freeway speeds, doin 110 locked up doin say 2200 back right off or evan just to light throttle, converter unlocks, revs cum up then back on throttle to speed up or when u give it **** to overtake it f*ckin locks up!
been through wiring three times all seemed sweet, added another wire that wasnt there from shifter to tell the ecu wat its doin but still no good. also replaced speedo sensor cause a wire was broken (thought that would have been a sure fix :[ )
the trigger wire for the lockup ( grey/red i think) changes with throttle input, its getting 0.05v when on throttle, 13.5 off throttle. i thinks thats all it does. doesnt seem to change voltage at 80 like u think it would.

gonna try a TPS see how that goes but dont think thats the problem. have been drivin round with the terminal out of the plug so it doesnt work at all HELP ME please all u gurus out there..... its drivin me crazy...
Edit/Delete Message

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
it sounds like the wires on the solonid in the transmition are on backwards or have loose conections.
also check the earth strap to the block it could be that...
what was the engine and box out of?? and did you drive it before you took it out?
was the transmition built by yourself or a n auto builder
if it was built by a pro take it in and tell them they ****ed it up

but most likely it wil be the wires are on backwards, but that dosnt explain why it locks up in second. they should only lock up in third an fourth.
or maby someone left out a seal when they built the transmition and its giving the lock up fluid when its not suposed to...
ill have a think about it and i will also ask my mate who builds proformance transmitions

MontieVHSL/E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 304 (injected)
is it a standard computer that your running there?
the computer should not lock up the converter unless its in 4th gear and ubove a sertain speed and the gearbox fluid is ubove a sertain temp. it should also disengauge when you accelerate hevly.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Are you running the Vehicle speed sensor in the gearbox?
There are 3 wires out of the speed sensor

Pink with blue trace goes to the torque converter lock up solenoid & ignition
Black with White trace - Thats your earth
Violet with white trace would normally run to The speedo/trip computer.

If its all connected up correctly, the violet & white wire that goes to the speedo a wire comes out of the speedo brown with yellow trace and goes to A10 on the ECU plug, might have something to do there.

cheers
Scott

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
after some investigation i'm 98% sure that it's in the tune :) :)

lucky i know a guy that can fix it up for you tomorrow :D

haha!

failing that: might have to check that wiring..

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think you wired the converter lock up in back to front

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
ud think so but we have been through the wiring 3 time had gmh scamatics books and diagnosis books and it all seams to look like it should
it does seem like its workin back to front i guessed that right at the start but why not in first gear and only over 40 kph

ohh and the car doesnt want to idle now keeps stalling when its cold i think it comes good when warm but idle is low dunno if it has anything to do with it

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
after some investigation i'm 98% sure that it's in the tune :) :)

lucky i know a guy that can fix it up for you tomorrow :D

haha!

failing that: might have to check that wiring..

its been doin it since we first drove it before your memcal stock tune

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
thanx dude vn motor auto i bought seperatly its pre electronic (t700) built by pros the car got all new everything so never drivin before motor had been in a vk for 6 months but running no lock up its gotta be in the wiring