Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque converter or flexplate? Any ideas will help....

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
hi there, i recently had my engine swaped over, got it home and theres a rattle... the guy who swapped it swore blind its a piston while you guys said flexplate... i have un done the brace plate from trans to engine and made sure the bolts on the torque converter were tight. theres a bolt from trans to engine missing and one was loose, i put the y pipe back on and started it up... the rattle in it is definitly the flex plate or torque converter.. the flex plate has a slight wobble and has bits of teeth missing on the edge... any ideas on what the rattle is? cheers..

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Either a cracked flex plate or lose bolt is the most common cause. You will need to drop out the auto to check it properly.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
had a torch under there and doesnt seem to be any cracks, it wobbles bad at low idle and the sound is worse, could anything in the torque converter be broken?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id get another second hand flex plate and converter and fit them.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
i have another flex plate off my old motor, might fish around for a torque converter then, is it worth getting a second hand one?

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
When the flex plate cracks, it will crack between the bolts on the mating face where it sits against the crank. It is a commonly misdiagnosed problem. It does produce the same sort of noise under load as a flogged piston. But as said by previous members, the trans needs to be removed.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If it's wobbling then something is bent or broken. If you are going to swap the flex plate buy new bolts as they are torque to yield.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
no probs, doesnt make sound under load but noticed the other day it stumbles a bit at 100km/h only makes sound at low revs... going to replace the converter aswell... do you think it could be bearins in the crank?