Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque converter playing up maybe. ?

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Thanks for that and the more research I'm doing I'm thinking a full wack proper service might do the trick. The issue I'm having falls short of a bunky Torque converter so I'm hoping a full service will sort it.
Regards the Holden service interval of 150,000 KLM one would be insane to let it go that long. Fair to say Companies do it because they only do what Holden says but if it was your own car purchased with your hard earned you would be well served to go the two year rule or at least friggin 60,000
KLM.
A full rebuild on a VF transmission can run you 6 K and the torque converter is usually done at the same time.

One does not want to go there so 150000 KLM before the first Trans service is bordering on insanity to me.
Anyway, I'll report back after the experts have a crack at it.
Ta

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
least the autos get a service interval the manuals are "sealed for life" same as the diff... stuff that tho oil wears out like everything alse so it needs to be changed

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Any one fitted with a functioning Brain box would come to the conclusion that any moving part that requires oil as a lubricant will require a service to maintain maximum efficiency and long life.
Only reason Auto Companies go this route is simply because they are maximising their returns on failed components.
Complete and utter Bolliks in my opinion.
Whatever eh !

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Further more there are no leaks from the box. It is dry as under there so something is going on inside and it's not lack of fluid.
Ta.
Great that it doesn't leak.

Just keep in mind that it could have been an unsupervised trainee lackey at Holden that 1/2 serviced your auto box and maybe the fluid level was never filled to the correct level to begin with :p And don’t dismiss that there is, what maybe 4 to 5 litres of that 155,000 km old fluid still in there mixing with the 4 litres of new stuff :eek:

Trans dip sticks are great as it makes checking that the dealer did (at least some parts of) their job correctly just that little bit easier :rolleyes:

Guess I must get off my butt and install a trans dip stick along with a deeper pan and bigger filter on my ‘doore :eek: no urgency since I’ve yet to get to 10,000kms and don’t tow o_O

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Trans fluid service at least every 40k or sooner if driven hard or towing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Anyway, I'll report back after the experts have a crack at it.
Ta
Yes, please let us know what was found...

Just be a little analytical if they come back with a doomsday scenario and they say threat you need to spend lots of $$... It could be that lots is wrong but since it seems to drive well once going, I’d thing a good flush and a new filter and seal (often not changed cause supposedly a bugger to get out) should be all that is needed. They should be able to justify any work needed

Only other comment I can make is that whenever fitting an oil cooler, it needs to be flushed first before running it because it could always have some crap from manufacture within. Even more important if it’s a second hand oil cooler.

And since it will need a full flush in any case, why not look at a deep pan wide mouth filter upgrade?

ps: Another thread discusses the deep pan but it seems V8 only though do read the thread as there may be some mentions of V6 solutions.

Last edited:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
The oil has been checked by professionals when they installed the Trans cooler. Oil level correct and fluid meeting the requirements.
Not much more I could do than that really.
Your point regards the new oil mixing with the old oil because the Converter was not flushed is valid and why Holden do not require that to be done is anyone's guess.
A fair guess would be that they make more money because of Torque Converter failures requiring rebuild. Typical business innit.

As far as changing Trans oil at 40000 KLM when towing also makes good sense. It's a cheap service so why stretch it out on an item that is so very expensive to repair.
Im towing a van mostly so that will be my service interval for sure.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Regards the Oil cooler. It was fitted new by a highly recommended company in Perth so I can only hope it was flushed properly and fitted in the proper manner.
I could of fitted a cheaper one but chose to go high ball with a legit company.

No control over these things except to hope the company does a proper job. We live in hope.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The service interval on Auto trans required by Holden is 150,000 KLM which in my opinion is stretching it a bit

Regards the Holden service interval of 150,000 KLM one would be insane to let it go that long.

Yep, considering HSV change diff fluid at 36mths/60k service..must look up the transmission service requirement (if they list one) now that I think about it..in any case its getting done next service, which is the 36mth one.

least the autos get a service interval the manuals are "sealed for life" same as the diff

Yep, this 'sealed for life' is absolute bollocks. What does 'life' mean? My life, the life of the car? I'd suspect the 'life of the warranty'..manufacturers should be taken to task over this ambiguity in my opinion.. All fluid in a vehicle needs to be periodically replaced.

Only reason Auto Companies go this route is simply because they are maximising their returns on failed components.

And to make it appear that the vehicle is cheaper to maintain..during the warranty period..if it goes pop after that..not their problem. It's a disgrace

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... to make it appear that the vehicle is cheaper to maintain..during the warranty period..if it goes pop after that..not their problem. It's a disgrace
Yes it’s a disgrace for manufacturers to not list all service items and wax lyrically about sealed for life of the vehicle any other such ambiguity o_O

I was even told by one dealer service rep (from another manufacturer) that changing auto fluid and filter is detrimental as the trans fluid needs all those suspended particles to help the bands grip. He then said changing trans oil has result in no drive on some cars they’ve serviced. I asked if that’s the case, why don’t trans oil manufacturers put something akin to sand in the trans oil to “get some band grip” and got a blank look.... the stupid twat :mad:

And it’s still a frustration that Holden removed the fuel pump access port and doesn’t list a fuel filter replacement period for my commodore. It’s the first car I’ve ever owned that doesn’t have the fuel filter replacement period specified. It better be made of pixie dust and automagically removes any sedimentary crap that makes its way into your tank but I gues the manufacture has gone out of its way to create a profitable job for the dealers. IMHO it’s a woeful design and customer support move and rather bone headed to have done this :oops: