Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque converter Q

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Hi guys, just a quick question on torque converters. I'm having a problem with limp mode...yeah yeah not with my missus (out of the gutters boys :p )
I have my traction control light coming on when cold.. When its on its like a prop on a boat cavitating. I know there is power there but it seems like the tune is off and the transmission feels like its slipping.
I've replaced the throttle position sensor (TPS), The abs module, Wheel speed sensors.
The transmission is a new heavy duty build and a new locally built torque converter.
When it warms up, drive it for 10 km's or so, I can turn the motor off and on and the car resets and operates as it should.

Does this sound like a bad Transmission Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid and would this cause my traction control light to come up?
Does limp mode usually throw the full light cluster or just the individual light? Not sure if one light can justify limp mode.

Its like when the oil warms up then it works well. Cold for the first 15km's its just a slipping pig.

Thanks

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Take it back to them get them check it over you will only get guesses on here

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A failing TCC will most likely throw it into lip mode, yes. But that's the limit of my knowledge. Agree best to take it to the trans tech and get it scanned.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Not sure that you are getting limp mode. Would pay you to have your car scanned for error codes.

From 4L60e common problems.
"What is "limp-home mode" ? This is a fault mode in which the transmission either loses electrical power or the PCM deactivates all of the electronics. The transmission will default to max line pressure. The driver will have Reverse and 3rd, with manual 2nd available by putting the gearshift in 2nd or 1st (doesn't matter which). 1st, 4th, and TCC lockup will not be available. It will not hurt the car to drive it like this for short periods, but use manual 2nd to get the car moving, and be aware that the trans will generate more heat than normal while operating in limp-home mode due to increased torque converter slippage during 2nd gear starts and no lockup in 3rd gear."

Interesting. Just looked at the VT/VX workshop manual and you can display TCC/ETC codes for the GEN III V8 without using a scan tool by bridging pins 5 and 12 of the diagnostic port, the same as you could for pre-VTII V8s and most V6s. However, there are some limitations:

NOTE: Flash code diagnosis is not fully supported on certain Diagnostic Trouble Codes involving the solenoid valves or motor due to the valve relay inside the control unit being disabled. Diagnostic Trouble Codes 41, 42, 45, 46, 47, 48, 55, 56, 61 and 63 will prevent the ABS warning lamp from turning off. These faults can only be read through the DLC using TECH 2.

1595488875799.png

Last edited:

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Its wierd. I've had all the sensors etc replaced as well as a new transmission and converter.. but I had my converter installed on my stock transmission when the engine was built. This is when the problem started. New trans and sensors etc all happened after trying to resolve it. My mechanic basically has told me he has no idea. He doesn't seem to want to entertain the idea of a bad converter. His scan tool doesn't show any codes. Hence my hours (and hours)of trying to self diagnose with google.
I've taken it to the Auto sparky and his scan showed a 68. I had already put in a new one (switch)..he changed it again rang me to pick up the car...pulled up to pick up my car and it threw the same code.
To me it doesn't feel like limp mode. It feels like the trans is not locking up. But its doing it in an intermittent manner thats making the problem hard to determine

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A worn valve body or soft spring will cause an issue with TC lockup. But surely this was reamed and bigger valve fitted when they overhauled the trans.