Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

torque converter?

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
dose any one know what the standard torque converter in the vn 5ltrs stalls at. i think its 1500rpm butim not sure.

thanks xcop5l

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Everyone says it's about 1800 so yeah, about that

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
1800 sounds about right, might do a quick test once I sober up tomorrow. Kinda OT but this dude at work was saying the gen3's were all fitted with a very low stall, like only just above idle, any idea if that's true? Doesn't quite fit with my observations of driving em, but meh, what do I know.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
i thought about doing a stall test but thats not accurate,if my auto starts to slip or the wheels start to spin then its out.
also my tacho is kinda lazey at idle it sits on about 300-500 rpm most days and some days it sits on 1100-1500 rpm i had a tacho scan tool on it when it was on the dyno and its out/lazey it was reading about 6000rpm and the scantool was showing about 5500

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
i thought about doing a stall test but thats not accurate,if my auto starts to slip or the wheels start to spin then its out.
also my tacho is kinda lazey at idle it sits on about 300-500 rpm most days and some days it sits on 1100-1500 rpm i had a tacho scan tool on it when it was on the dyno and its out/lazey it was reading about 6000rpm and the scantool was showing about 5500

yeah the stall test is far from accurate, but you can tell within a few hundred RPM anyway. The lazy tacho can generally be convinced to work by a repeated light tapping on the dash. Or a permanent fix is to pull it apart, resolder the dry joints and lubricate the needle (as if I've got the motivation to do that). So, tomorrow morning be sure to listen to the scanner for a copper reporting some freak pulling a linelocker while staring intently at the tacho and tapping the dash with one hand. :D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My tacho is "lazy" in the old VN V6 it sits on like 1500 rpm then depending on how many times you tap it can read anywhere from 1000 to 500 rpm:) plus it can not in anyway keep up with the motor you you rev it so it's pretty much useless