Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Convertor on it's eway out?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Well i ran into some issue driving home last night. Driving along the highway it felt like it was starting to drop out of 4th and a REAL harsh driveline vibration occured. I backed off the throttle and it seems to settle down. I came to the intersection went to take off and all of a sudden i had a 3000rpm stally. Got it it off the line and everything seemed ok gearbox shifts fine but at what seems to be heavy load it start the vibration again like the torque convertor is slipping.

I dont think its the gearbox as it shifts fine and has never shown signs of any failure. I have noticed in the past that occasionally on the highway it might drop in and out of 4thi just put it down to driving condition. Also the lockup seems to be 90kph or more i read elsewhere its supposed to be 72kph?

So what do people think? Torque convertor or something else

Also i have a spare torque convertor here From a VR will this work in a VP i'm not 100% because of the electric box in the VR

Cheers In advance
Pub

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Update been out for a drive and it developed the driveline shudder noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd