Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Power heads price?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi guys does any one know what the price is for fully CNC ported VN heads? Such as the TP240cc. I emailed them for a price with valves and springs but have not received a reply.
I think it's fairly poor form to make it so difficult to obtain a price from TP.
I have pricing from a head shop to have my cast iron heads ported and recoed, I want to compare the TP heads in price to see which way I should go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't want to waste his time. I'm a year off bolting this engine together so I'm not planning on buying atm.
like I said I just want to know if I should stick with the iron heads that will end up about $3000-3500 or go new heads.
If they cost $6k I'll stick with the iron heads if they're $4,500 then I might be able to find the extra 1k.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Like I said, he loves to talk so calling him is not wasting his time and he may have suggestion or 2 for you depending on what you are trying to achieve.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea I might call. I just want some efficient heads for my build. The cam that will use the flow of the TP222cc heads will likely make too much power for what I'm aiming for, but more power is fine with me haha.

I just want a 355 but while I'm there I'm going to get the heads done right. as the chamber and seats are the most important then the ports then the intake. Intake will be a TP dual plane lowrise because I want an old school look with a carb. If I make over 400hp I'll be happy but 350hp is fine for me.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If your target is only 400 hp then stick with the VN heads and get a basic seat and pocket port job done, on a 355 you'll make 400hp easy enough, you are better off spending your money on a decent hydro roller cam and make 400 rwhp.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If your target is only 400 hp then stick with the VN heads and get a basic seat and pocket port job done, on a 355 you'll make 400hp easy enough, you are better off spending your money on a decent hydro roller cam and make 400 rwhp.
I will be bumping comp up so chamber efficiency will be a big factor. I have a price on a valve job done on a newen CNC with chamber and port work which is $690 for the seats $1500 for the die grinder work then all the rest like guides valves and retainers.

The idea that I have is to keep velocity at max in the port and increase the VE with chamber work. So I can use the dual plane down low. I was looking at a 650 holly SS but read an article from David Vizard where he states that a 650 would be good for a single plane but a 950 would work better on a dual plane. If I went a 950 I would have to use vac secondaires.

All this means I'll probably hit closer to 500hp probably 460hp with the dual plane. I'm happy with less but for this engine to work it's going to need to rev past 6000rpm and it'll make over 400hp.
It used to have a massive solid roller and big valves with standard ports and a TP single plane running EFI. I didn't build that setup but it only made 420hp when the cam should've seen 540hp. I want to use a smaller cam less revs and make 400hp so the efficiency will be improved vastly.

This also highlights an issue I have with the iron heads I have, they already have big valves which need larger ports putting the revs up towards 7k when I want lower RPM to keep within the dual planes limits.

Basically I need the smallest ports I can find with the most efficient valves seats and chambers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also higher efficiency in the head flow will aid in low end transients. So coming off a half throttle hold to a wide open blat will see a faster transition to full power.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Pretty much the whole engine revolves around the TP dual plane lowrise. and yes it's retarded to use it vs a single plane but I want the look of the manifold so it looks like an old school engine. I want to run a mech fuel pump too because I want to be different. It will also stop people talking to me about injectors and gay LS1's.