Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Power heads price?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep he’s happy to chat - good pr for sure. I spent over an hour on the phone to him not too long ago - and I was just after some info on a manifold I bought. Gives some good insight as to the development and history of his head and manifold design vs those of other companies.

Seems the biggest advantage is added rigidity because the rocker mounting ‘rail’ is effectively a bar that goes from the front to rear of the head all the way along, whereas competitors have split pedestals - essentially in pairs. The oil drain backs have been properly designed for the tp heads too.

I think the biggest advantage of alloy heads is their ability to disperse heat and deal with higher compression without risk of preignition.

However, as immortality said, the money is better spent elsewhere if it isn’t an all out build where you’re chasing every last bit of power.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yep he’s happy to chat - good pr for sure. I spent over an hour on the phone to him not too long ago - and I was just after some info on a manifold I bought. Gives some good insight as to the development and history of his head and manifold design vs those of other companies.

Seems the biggest advantage is added rigidity because the rocker mounting ‘rail’ is effectively a bar that goes from the front to rear of the head all the way along, whereas competitors have split pedestals - essentially in pairs. The oil drain backs have been properly designed for the tp heads too.

I think the biggest advantage of alloy heads is their ability to disperse heat and deal with higher compression without risk of preignition.

However, as immortality said, the money is better spent elsewhere if it isn’t an all out build where you’re chasing every last bit of power.
Well if they're around 4k I'll think about them as like I saud I'm at about $3500 for the iron heads.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Theres also making 400hp with nothing low on the curve then a big peak and a sharp drop off then there's making 400hp with torque and power up over stock across the whole curve with the engine only dropping softly after 6000rpm.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Theres also making 400hp with nothing low on the curve then a big peak and a sharp drop off then there's making 400hp with torque and power up over stock across the whole curve with the engine only dropping softly after 6000rpm.
Not sure what you’re trying to say.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Not sure what you’re trying to say.
He is saying compare a 400hp big block to a 400hp small block.
He wants the curve like a big block - great plan I say. Big torque for the win.

P. S are we talking 400 engine or 400 rear wheel?

The only thing I don't like about alloys is the nervous feeling when fitting exhaust manifold bolts. Am I lined up straight? Is it cross threading? Am I ruining my 4000 dollar heads?
Apart from that, alloy heads are great.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
He is saying compare a 400hp big block to a 400hp small block.
He wants the curve like a big block - great plan I say. Big torque for the win.

P. S are we talking 400 engine or 400 rear wheel?

The only thing I don't like about alloys is the nervous feeling when fitting exhaust manifold bolts. Am I lined up straight? Is it cross threading? Am I ruining my 4000 dollar heads?
Apart from that, alloy heads are great.
Just add some lube. I chowdered enough threads when I was an apprentice and used too many helicoils and learnt the feel.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Just add some lube. I chowdered enough threads when I was an apprentice and used too many helicoils and learnt the feel.
I think it's more the weight of the headers and the small bolt combined with the angle and the reach (in the bay). Haven't munched one yet, but tempted to convert it to studs.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Slot the 2 outer bolt holes on the header flanges then it's easy to slip it over a bolt fitted at each end.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
My pacies were already slotted front and rear. Not sure whether the previous owner did that though - got them second hand.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mine too, I think Pacies come like that, not sure about other brands.
ph5000rva.jpg