Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque settings

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
x2 on the sealant. If you don't it will probably weep through the gasket and unless you have a perfect housing and manifold.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Tight as possible is a bold statement! Should he put a pipe on the breaker bar to get the extra leverage?
Firm with a 3/8 ratchet would probably be enough.
I had to do them hard don’t know why the gasket kept leaking but I guess each to their own. As long as no leaks

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I just sand the outlet down a little with a DA and bolt them on no sealant required. If you must permatex aviation no3 is what I would use.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not all of us own a DA, I tried wet n dry and it just tore up the paper before it took any where near enough off. You would need 10 sheets or more to make it work. Aviation would work too but I just used what I had on hand. The grey sealant worked well for my water pump, when it leaked and wasn't noticeable once I gave it a wipe.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
most case
I had to do them hard don’t know why the gasket kept leaking but I guess each to their own. As long as no leaks
most cases of leaks when the parts are in good condition is people don't wait for sealants to set properly and the soft paper gasket gets water/coolant logged and leaks.
Also run a flat medium grinding stone over manifold and thermo housing to flatten any high spots and don't forget to use seal sealant on thread/heads of bolts as well in case gasket breaks inside bolt holes. Also recheck and tighten bolts after a few hot and cold runs as alloys bolts tends to loosen up after hot/cold conditions.

I only ever use permatex gasket aviation sealer, none of that rtv silicone **** that really was developed for use without a gasket, its ok for air/pressure issues but I wouldn't use it on corrosive coolants. Let gasket/sealer set overnight if in cold conditions and you will not have any leaks with firm hand tightening.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Not all of us own a DA, I tried wet n dry and it just tore up the paper before it took any where near enough off. You would need 10 sheets or more to make it work. Aviation would work too but I just used what I had on hand. The grey sealant worked well for my water pump, when it leaked and wasn't noticeable once I gave it a wipe.
a flat grinding/sharpening stone works the best so does the permatex aviation sealants