Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Specs for plenum

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
I was wondering if anyone has the proper torque specification for the VT plenum chamber hex bolts?
I've searched high and low on google, wiki, JC etc even asked at autobahn but never found an answer.
I read the how-to on cleaning the plenum/throttle body up but it doesn't tell you what nm to do them up too.

Thanks in advance to the person with this info :)

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
1/4 turn before stripped?

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
since this isn't a stressed part like a cylinder head what does it matter?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I'm with TonyJZX, why do manufacturers even bother giving torque specs for nuts and bolts on their cars? They know that owners are not going to do it anyway.:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::hmmm:

Of course, if you are the exception to the rule you may be interested in this copy and paste from the Holden Service Manual.

Air Inlet Plenum Assembly (Non-Supercharge) To Inlet Manifold Assembly Attaching Bolts 15 Nm. is this what you need?
Air Inlet Plenum Cover (Non-Supercharge) To Air Inlet Plenum Assembly Attaching Bolts 10 Nm
Air Intake Manifold To Cylinder Head Attaching Bolts 12 - 18 Nm

Last edited:

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...rs-cleaning-plenum-chamber-vt-commodore.93638

I'm going to do most of this guide to my car, and from my previous experience its always good to follow the instructions to the 'T'.

@TonyJZX
I'm guessing it would matter because it would help make a perfect seal around the lid of the plenum so there are no air leaks. I could be wrong but I'd rather not take a chance when I have a torque wrench handy.

@0081
Cheers mate, appreciate the quick response!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I always follow the recommended torque specs that are listed in the workshop manuals for every nut or bolt.Even the wheel nuts.Any half decent mechanic will do always this.The ones who say it doesnt need it are the ones to keep your car away from.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I need to buy a torque wrench but have been told the $50 ones are crap, not willing to pay $200 for one. Ill probably see if I can hire one from a tool hire place but they dont have them listed on the website.

I also thought about doing some stuff by tightening until tight then give it an extra half a turn but I have snapped bolt heads off before many times on cars I had when I was younger, I never had the tools too tap the bolt to pull them out so it would always end up with 1 bolt in the thermostat housing for example and a **** load of silicone.

To avoid stuff like that its always a good idea to use a torque wrench.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have a very good Warren & Brown tension wrench, but in a lot of instances you can't use the tension wrench correctly due to angles or available space, and if the tension wrench is on a funny angle you can get a false reading and end up over tightening something, which I did once and stripped the nut due to the odd angle I was on, even though the wrench was set to the correct tension, so sometimes it is better to use your own judgement and feel when doing up bolts. Just don't over tighten things. I only use my tension wrench for vital engine components when doing a rebuild and the road wheel nuts.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
just weld the cover on, then you dont have to worry about torque settings. lol