Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque specs Vf V6 alternator studs and nuts

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
Does anyone know these torque settings? Maybe the same as VZ and VE Alloytec, don't know. I can't find them anywhere, even in the 11,000+ page workshop manual, although it's bound to be in there somewhere. Just replaced the alternator and would like to tighten the studs and nuts up to specification rather than risk damage. How a workshop manual can show "No Results" in the search using the word "Alternator" is beyond me wtf!

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just replaced the alternator and would like to tighten the studs and nuts up to specification rather than risk damage

Just do it up firmly, the nuts are just there to hold the alternator on, not seal gasket surfaces or hold bearings in place.

If you feel like you must have a number just do it up to 20nm, safe common number.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The VF Workshop Manual I have has 11,631 pages and the information you need can be found under <Engine/Propulsion> <12 V Starting and Charging> <Repair Instructions> <86. Generator Replacement (V6)> which is on page 4037. The instructions for the V8 are some pages later ;)

For the V6, the 2 studs are at 18Nm while the 4 fasteners are at 45Nm but as you have the manual, best to check it yourself.

Reason you can’t find “alternator” when your search the manual is that Holden calls it a “generator” in their modern speak :rolleyes:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Generator mounting studs..................................10.0 Nm
Generator retaining nuts .........................15.0 – 20.0 Nm
Battery harness to G8 – X1 pin A nut
torque specification ...................................7.1 – 13.3 Nm

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV