Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

torque vs hp

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Different modifications create differences in power output. It's most likely they have a bigger cam than you and that's why they have more KW's.

Lol bigger cam... Make me laugh

For shits and giggles ill make more power then u on the dyno with a cam much much much smaller then yours and ill spank you on the street. That setup you have is insanely wrong.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
212 kw from mafless, than pretty much done everything cuz the motor killed bearings rods and pistons

First thing I'm gonna say its the dyno your getting your work done on, it seems it pulls low numbers but thats no issue the numbers you need to look at are the from the moment you went mafless (212rwkw) to the cam (269rwkw) thats 57rwkw from doing the cam. I think thats pretty damn good.

As the cam is big, PTV would have been close - have you got valve reliefs in the pistons?
Whats been done to the heads? And how far are you spinning the motor?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
dafuq am i reading?

Lol bigger cam... Make me laugh

For shits and giggles ill make more power then u on the dyno with a cam much much much smaller then yours and ill spank you on the street. That setup you have is insanely wrong.

Calm down fellas.
I was under the impression that a bigger cam will increase the power your car has (higher up in the revs, being a big cam) thus giving a higher KW figure.
I know this is obviously not the only thing that will give the end result, but it could explain why some people are making more KW's than him, yet he has more torque.

So which one of you two want to actually help answer his question? I seem to be the only person that has had a go at giving him a reason behind why his car makes less KW's but more torque than other peoples.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I seem to be the only person that has had a go at giving him a reason behind why his car makes less KW's but more torque than other peoples.

866 nm of torque and 269 kw:

are both useless numbers without RPM. without knowing the variables everyone is just guessing. and if i had to guess, my guess is his stick is too big for his engine and it wont rev. thus a good low rpm power, and balls revs.

edit* but i am just guessing :p

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Big stick = plenty top end and not as much downlow.

Dyno figures are just that. Wank talk you have between mates.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
well you're making more torque than an LS1 with a blower so you shouldn't complain too much

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Dyno's measure torque at the rear wheels which is a LOT different to torque at the flywheel. Things like transmission ratio's and diff gears multiply torque, even things like wheel diameters/tyre pressurs and types of oil used can influence dyno results (as well as how the vehicle is trapped down on the dyno).

Engines produce torque, HP is a purely mathematical equation or HP = torque x rpm/5252

samnon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
IMAG0016.jpg

thats the dyno for it, i'm not chasing massive power for it, i'm happy enough with how it goes was just wondering about the torque, it seems pretty high for a ls1.

samnon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
First thing I'm gonna say its the dyno your getting your work done on, it seems it pulls low numbers but thats no issue the numbers you need to look at are the from the moment you went mafless (212rwkw) to the cam (269rwkw) thats 57rwkw from doing the cam. I think thats pretty damn good.

As the cam is big, PTV would have been close - have you got valve reliefs in the pistons?
Whats been done to the heads? And how far are you spinning the motor?

its been on dyno fair few times for retunes when i've changed stuff, there forged mahle pistons with valve reliefs the heads are ported with bigger valves its gotta ls2 intake with92mm throttle body. its peaking power around 6400