Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque wrench advice

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I brought a cheapie for $80 from total tools, mainly to avoid stripping my sump plug and the bolts in my alloy supercharger housing. It's got metric and imperial and goes up to about 120Nm from memory. Anything above that I just do it up tight :)
I'm more concerned about overtightening than undertightening

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'm a stickler for re-torquing wheel nuts on client's vehicles when I'm removing wheels, mainly because there's such a large variance between manufacturers (~80Nm for old jags, ~170Nm for VEs, just as an example). I've had a kincrome wrench for a while now and it's never skipped a beat. That said, I just went for the click type (no dials) as there are reasonable tolerances for anything I'm likely to need it for - and I'm not setting it to a bunch of different settings during jobs, which is a good point as mentioned above, so the fiddly adjustment doesn't bug me. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure the wrench you're looking at fits your required torque range - a lot of the cheaper ones don't go high enough for VE wheel nuts for instance. Kincrome doesn't cost the earth

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
^^^^+1 tinsnips, mine just adjust with knob no probs as I'm not using everyday, yeah bloody high wheel torque on the ve (wifes astra is about 90-100nm) they would be pushing **** up hill to change a wheel on the car
greenacc as for a 3/8" same brands as mentioned, buy once and it will be with you for a long while 9as long as you look after it(same as anything)