Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque wrench advice

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
Thinking of buying one for the car. Spend about 50-80 bucks on Eaby or ali barber. Obviously need metric/kn not foot lbs. Kinda think mid length shaft without dials for those hard to get at places but what about brands and types?

Threw out a nice big one a year or so ago I had for 20 years but never used, bang head once, bang head twice.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
look at the kingchrome range, reasonable price, a lot depends on how often you will use, I have 3, large for wheel nuts, crank bolts etc high torque, medium for general use and a small one for particular jobs, all are sized 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" drives, I also bought some adaptors to allow me to use the smaller units with the 1/2"sockets etc, I'm not a mechanic (sparky) but love to tinker, sometimes don't get used for ages then every week, have two kids who drive so I end up doing lots for them to save them a bit of money, its always the case don't use get rid of-hah then you need it, yeah bang head more
even try the micrometer ones they've been around along time as well, metric ones are more useful nowadays (unless rebuilding a classic or early model car)

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I would just go to a tool shop and buy one.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I got one from Repco for $80, not bad quality, easy to use, no dials, just a knob on the end

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Go to a tool shop so you can try before you buy. Get a known brand with a clear scale that is easy to adjust. Some of the kincrome ones say they do both Nm and foot pounds but the scale only lines up properly for the foot pounds not metric.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dont flame me, but i bought one for the first time.

Looked at numerous ones and decided to try this one
Is in ft/lbs but maybe seller has similar ones for you

1 2" Drive Torque Wrench Adjustable Tension Tool IN Plastic Case Micrometer NEW | eBay

Has a excellent reputation, thing weighs a fair bit and seems to work fine. (never had one before)
If it breaks, well no much money outlayed and will get another brand expensive one

But for my needs, seems to be fine.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That looks remarcably similar to my kincrome one...... good price!

ChewieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6
That Ebay one has a range of 40-210 Nm. Modern vehicles with lots of alloy parts have many nuts and bolts that have to be tightened to values in the 15-30 Nm range.....so if you buy that you are going to need another one for half the bolts on your car (or bike) I have two wrenches.

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L manual, VE Omega Sportswagon
[
I've had a kincrome me for a few years now, but used a more expensive clicking pin one prior to that.

The kinchrome one is good for occasional use, which is all I need it for. Setting the torque with the twisty handle is the annoying part-ok once or twice on a DIY job but you may find it annoying if it was your trade tool. In contrast the much more expensive clicking pin types are very quick to set to a particular torque setting, if you have recently won the lotto then buy one of those.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Anyone got any suggestions for a good smaller wrench in a 3/8" size? one you dont need to win the lotto to buy lol.