Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Touch up and pinstripe advice needed

Budmulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi all, i am currently sprucing up my old VN that has been off the road for a couple of years, i have been using spot putty to fill some stone chips and crap and sanding back with 1200 grit .
I got my local Autopro store to mix me 500ml of the original Atlantic White and i am trying to patch the areas with my airbrush.

So far its turning out ok..... but unfortunately the colour isnt an exact match and is a tad yellower than i would have liked ... hardly noticable ... but im a lil picky!
It was mixed by a new guy so i wonder if he might have overdone the yellow and if perhaps i could get the remaining 80% of the tin tinted whiter.

I guess the paint has fadded, but once the bumper is off the paint behind isnt a match for the touch up stuff either.

I needed to replace a guard and the pinstripes didnt match so now i am about to apply some new ones after i have already removed the old ones.

The dilema is i want to cut and buff the car soon, and also apply the pinstripes..... if it was you what would you do.

A) Apply first then cut and polish.
B) Cut and polish the whole car then clean the area for the pinstripes apply then re-wax.
C) Something else like Tape the area first with electrical tape, and then cut and polish then apply.

cheers~

Budmulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
ok sounds like a plan, will report back once i get there.

Cheers.

Budmulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Had a bit of a win with the paint colour today, took the tin and a damaged guard to my Autopro store in Young NSW.
I pointed out the difference to the guys and then asked if it was possible to add more white to the mix and they ended up giving me (for free) a small tin of the pure white stuff to mix in myself until it looks spot on ....
I thought that was nice of them and saved binning a tin and remixing. As i said to them with the small tins like the 500ml one i got it wouldn't take much to get the mix wrong .... a few extra drops of yellow in a two litre tin wouldnt make as much difference.

So im fully loaded with supplies to attack it tomorrow!

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
haha they gave you the white coz they couldnt be ####ed doing it themselves

Budmulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Nah i think it was more cause i suggested it, i am happy with the deal because i should be able to mix it to suit with more white on the more faded areas, and less for the lower bits.
But yeah, it probably saved them a bit of stuffing about.