Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

touched the battery and blew my trans?

stev_4eva

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE ex-police car
G'day guys, just wanted to share something with you that i'm kinda finding hard to comprehend, and potentially leaving me a good couple grand down as a result.

It all started 3 days ago where i attempted to install a hands free kit into my car. It should be known that previous to this, i had no problems with my car to date, and about 4 months ago, also installed four new speakers and a subwoofer into my 2008 VE ex-cop car. Anyways, went to install a hands free kit, and just to make sure the module worked, i attached the positive wire to my battery, and the negative to a grounded car part. Went to turn the car on, and the on-board computer had a couple second delay, before finally flashing "check ABS, check brakes, check engine, contact dealer"

Took it to City Holdens, a certified holden repair shop in Adelaide, and they determined the problem as...

"Carried out extensive testing and found several DTC's. Followed diagnoses charts and found TCM at fault which has caused internal damage to the transmission. Vehicle will require new trans. Quoted $3000 for change over trans and $5600 for new trans."

So apart from the $350 they charged me to diagnose the problem, i'm wondering if it's actually a legit problem, or if they are just making **** up. I have had no problems with my trans in the past, and even now everything's running smoothly. I don't however, have any ABS brakes, no traction control, or no rear parking sensor since the incident, but i don't know if that's the computer software preventing those features, or it is actually hardware related.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
There is no goddamn way it could cause internal damage to the tranny. Whats the maximum draw a bluetooth module could draw? 2 amps? And how could it do it anyway?

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
it impossible that it would have blown you trans just with playing with The battery terminals.
However in the VE manual is does state that you should never jump start a VE using the battery terminals in the boot, instead there are dedicated termals under the bonnet.

To be honest slot of Holden dealerships are full of shite.
just my $0.02

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i would clear the fault codes first before anything major is done.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
sounds like you have blown the control module, not done any hardware damage as you said it still runs fine.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Yeah really you'd think that the only damage that could of done to the transmission itself by messing with the electrical system would be the control module. If the transmission is ####ed it's for another reason. Are error codes date/time stamped? TCM is inside the 6l50 transmission...is it the same box in the 08?

Last edited:

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Take it to another dealer, and $350 to diagnose is too much.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
holdens only charge 66 bux for diagnosis to be done
also adding things to the battery or power wires can and has damaged trans b4
theres a little electric gadget inside trans that holdens told me is broken in mine but after clearing sodes car runs fine now
my opinion is holdens know nothing and want your cash

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Holmart sell brand new tranny's for 3K as well

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
holdens only charge 66 bux for diagnosis to be done
also adding things to the battery or power wires can and has damaged trans b4
theres a little electric gadget inside trans that holdens told me is broken in mine but after clearing sodes car runs fine now
my opinion is holdens know nothing and want your cash

You know it's Holden and not Holdens right?