Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tough street 355 combo

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
At the moment I have a very mild 355 combo making sweet FA power (Ive already got a sweet flowing manfold and exhaust with a 286 hyd cam on factory comp on 215i Senator) and im going to go for a full rebuild. With a budget of 10K MAX!! Im trying to put together a very strong street 355. Please do not reply with any forced induction ideas. To get the right SC with all that will make it sweet with safe power will cost way way over 10. Do you guys think I would be better off going a solid with big lift, duration and high flowing heads or convert to a Hyd roller with lift, duration and high flowing heads. Im losing a lot of sleep thinking about what to do and would be keen to hear about what other people think. Cheers for any feed back.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hi man, I beleive your current combo with the TP high rise should be making 183-200 rwkw depending on how good your cai is, not 160 something but anyway (I think something is assembled or tuned wrong), using that manifold you can go with something like this

Intake manifold: TP High rise
Heads: VN 505 hp mild port heads (flow chart from a pair tk383 on sc did)
Cam: Wade 810B12 HYD cam 242/242 112 LSA .552 lift
Compression 10:1 (you might be able to go closer to 11 for some more power but 10 is nice and ping free friendly)

400 ft/lbs @ 4600 rpm
410 hp @ 6100 rpm
Idle vacumm 12.1

Roughly a genuine 260 rwkw, mid 12 1/4 mile in a heavy VS with 3.08 gears and 2000 rpm stall, you can probably design something alot better with more time, going to exotic cams etc but I'm going to sleep now and that would be well within your budget
Just for interests sake, you COULD run a cam in the 220 kind of size, loose 40 hp on the top end run a 12.3 an improvement of .1 :) and have a factory stock 17 inches at idle, just depends if you want to go fast on the road or look pretty on the dyno

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply man. It is a bit of a head **** with my current combo and that is why i was considering the full rebuild. A mid to low 12 is the plan. Its going to cost a bit to get my current combo soughted out, so i thought that money would be better spent in a full rebiuld. How do you rate these cams for street?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The vaccum rating at idle tells you how grumpy is will be. 17-20+ is factory smooth. 15 inches is good, 12's a bit lumpy, under 10 is starting to get rough. The high rise TP has huge runners so you really have to get all the rest of the motor efficeint and moving alot of air to make one work so unless you are doing that it's often better to run the smaller TP low rise. eg, you might run your mid 12 on something as simple as heavily shaved heads a low rise TP even keeping the 286 and the heads stock (depending on how much area the low rise has in the runners, I'm not sure but should definatly run 12's like that)

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
10k budget and it is a 355? you would bloody hope you get quicker than a mid 12sec down the strip

big solid roller cam
heaps head work
good compresion
4.11's
nice stally
forged bottom end
aftermarket comp
going to need some serious work on your trans.

maybe i'm being a tad to optimistic but sounds quick in my head
and not overall to expensive, for street you want heaps of torque so yeah hope ive helped some way

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
i spent about $15,000 on my 355 with twin throttles and it use to run 12.1's

10 grand on a 355 is about 12.5 seconds depends if you want to use all the best parts i know i do because it means its a little longer till you have to pull it apart again

inocnt vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais 5ltr, Vg ute,
At the moment I have a very mild 355 combo making sweet FA power (Ive already got a sweet flowing manfold and exhaust with a 286 hyd cam on factory comp on 215i Senator) and im going to go for a full rebuild. With a budget of 10K MAX!! Im trying to put together a very strong street 355. Please do not reply with any forced induction ideas. To get the right SC with all that will make it sweet with safe power will cost way way over 10. Do you guys think I would be better off going a solid with big lift, duration and high flowing heads or convert to a Hyd roller with lift, duration and high flowing heads. Im losing a lot of sleep thinking about what to do and would be keen to hear about what other people think. Cheers for any feed back.

have u put it on another dyno?? there are a few low reading ones around?? lol.. mite be nufn wrong with ur car..

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is a low reading mainline dyno, but the car feels sluggish anyway. It already has 3.9 in the arse and its a factory T56. Fairly rear, but strong, so im happy leaving that and spending the cash on the engine. Im going to try shaving and porting the heads, and getting some1 else to tune it and see how I go. Failing this, I will look at a full rebuild. Cheers again for the advice.

inocnt vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais 5ltr, Vg ute,
It is a low reading mainline dyno, but the car feels sluggish anyway. It already has 3.9 in the arse and its a factory T56. Fairly rear, but strong, so im happy leaving that and spending the cash on the engine. Im going to try shaving and porting the heads, and getting some1 else to tune it and see how I go. Failing this, I will look at a full rebuild. Cheers again for the advice.

its prob lacking in compression.. shaving heads will help....at least itl be better matched combo..

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh thats true, I might give it a go first and see how I go. Ill post the result