Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow Bar for VE SV6

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
Hi all,

I'm researching different brands and styles of tow bar for my VE SV6. I would like one that can be removed when not being used. It doesn't have to be a massive heavy duty type - just one suitable for towing a standard box trailer or jet ski.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Mick

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
I have a genuine 2100kg Holden setup. The ball and tongue simply come out leaving a square opening. You can buy fancy caps to cover that if you want, but I don't bother.

In your case, I'd just buy a Holden 1600kg towbar which has the same square opening and comes with teh simple tongue as shown on the Allin towbar.

I'm a bit of a stickler for towbars, and typically buy genuine - all to do with testing. Holden would have spent around $1m testing towbars on the VE, so I am more than happy to go with their recommendation!

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
Thanks for the replies.

How much was the genuine tow bar EraserHead?

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I decided to go with Allin as it doesn't stick out as far as the Holden version and does have the chrome cap, allthough you can buy them. Apart from that they are near the same.

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
The Allin ones seem to be about $525 + harness. If there's very little difference in price, I'll go the 2100 over the 1600.

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
The only difference between the 1600 and 2100 from Holden is the 2100kg comes with the load levelling bars and big coupling. The actual tow bar is the same.

Call a couple fo Holden delaers to get a price - mine was dealer fitted to my car when I ordered it from Barloworld. Not hard to install yourself, but make sure you get the Holden wiring harness that goes with it as well. You should be able to do a deal on the pair.

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
A quick search shows the Hayman Reece 2100kg towbar fitted with wiring for $750 in Sydney - a good price. WOuld not include the load levelling bits though - they are extra.

Holden Commodore Tow Bars Sydney

The following link gives you an idea of prices for a genuine Holden one - very competitive on price...

Link does not work for some reason so go to www jhp .com .au

Now you have a starting point to go talk to your local dealer in Brissy armed with the market price.