Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow bar removal

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'll need a replacement bumper diffuser, not a whole bumper.
Ah OK, that's not as bad. I just went & looked at it, I'd not previously realised that the unpainted plastic at the bottom of the bumper (the diffuser) was actually a different piece of plastic to the bumper itself - no need to paint-match. :)

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Factory rear energy absorber that the tow bar replaces is just foam

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
As previously mentioned, if you remove the bar, you will need a new rear diffuser, as when the bar is installed, the cut out the required area for the bar to fit through

Other than that, removal will require removal of the rear bumper bar and the rest is pretty straight forward (removing the bolts that secure the bar to the chassis rails)

The wiring looms are plug and play, so will be able to just disconnect them

The only issue you may have is the vehicle is fitted with reverse sensors and when a towbar is fitted, the vehicles computer is programmed to include the towbar (ie sensors don't go off when the bar is installed and the wiring loom is plugged in)

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
As previously mentioned, if you remove the bar, you will need a new rear diffuser, as when the bar is installed, the cut out the required area for the bar to fit through

Other than that, removal will require removal of the rear bumper bar and the rest is pretty straight forward (removing the bolts that secure the bar to the chassis rails)

The only issue you may have is the vehicle is fitted with reverse sensors and when a towbar is fitted, the vehicles computer is programmed to include the towbar (ie sensors don't go off when the bar is installed and the wiring loom is plugged in)

There's setting for parking to turn towbar on and off. Is there no way to patch a diffuser without replacing it? I've found a local place that installs tow bars and they lucky just did a VF today, so they have the crash bar for me to use. Just need to figure out how I'll patch the hole.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I don’t think this an issue, if it is factory and done properly the sensors are only disabled when you have a trailer plugged in, there is also an option in the my link to select if you have a tow bar fitted and obviously de-select when removed.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
There's setting for parking to turn towbar on and off. Is there no way to patch a diffuser without replacing it? I've found a local place that installs tow bars and they lucky just did a VF today, so they have the crash bar for me to use. Just need to figure out how I'll patch the hole.

Lucky man, maybe i will hit up a towbar mob see if they want to do something similar.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
just leave it. deterrent for rear parkers, some buffer in a rear crash. ability to tow. I might put one on the front as well.

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
Last edited:

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I have the foam crash bar under the house, there is also a module and harness near the battery if it has genuine wiring harness, I put one on my car, if someone is going to rear end me, they're up for a radiator, A/C condenser and a whole bunch of expensive crap.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

I know I'm bumping an older post/thread but I have a question.

I recently had my towbar removed however the wiring harness is still attached. Before I go poking around do I need to know anything about removing the wiring harness?

Also I turned off the towbar in MyLink, there's nothing else to it is there?