Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow bar removal

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I know I'm bumping an older post/thread but I have a question.

I recently had my towbar removed however the wiring harness is still attached. Before I go poking around do I need to know anything about removing the wiring harness?

Also I turned off the towbar in MyLink, there's nothing else to it is there?
There is a module in the rear (above and behind the battery). I’d leave that module in place (as it’s programmed/linked to the car) and could be useful to a subsequent buyer if they want to refit the towbar. However, I’d be unplugging the harness from the trailer plug from that module.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is a module in the rear (above and behind the battery). I’d leave that module in place (as it’s programmed/linked to the car) and could be useful to a subsequent buyer if they want to refit the towbar. However, I’d be unplugging the harness from the trailer plug from that module.
If I was removing the towbar, I'd remove all elements of it including the tow bar electronic module (which may need prepair for removal if required). I'd then deactivate the tow bar feature from the vehicle via service tools. That way, there wouldn't be any option within Mylink to turn on or off the towbar tongue being attacked (adusts reverse sensor sensitivity)... Lastely I'd ensure the energy absorbing foam pad behind the rear bumber, which is usually removed and thrown away, is actually reinstalled.

That way the vehicle is returned to the condition it was before the towbar was added.

Thus i'd have the whole kit that could be onsold to someone now rather than worrying about what some future owner may want to do with it.

Also I turned off the towbar in MyLink, there's nothing else to it is there?
Dealer needs to deactivate the feature within the system, be it MyLink or BCM (or wherever the feature lives). Some modules also need to be prepaired for removal (if vin coded which i doubt the tow bar module is).

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Leave it on.
Handy in the future.
You may buy a trailer, boat or jet ski.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Leaving the module in the vehicle would not cause any issues but if you want the vehicle back to standard and you are certain you would never use a towbar on it then take it all out.
you could even sell it on ebay/gumtree.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I'd then deactivate the tow bar feature from the vehicle via service tools. That way, there wouldn't be any option within Mylink to turn on or off the towbar tongue being attacked
Its there no matter whether or not the car has ever had a tow bar fitted. Both “On” and “On with tow bar” do the same thing of you don’t have a bar.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its there no matter whether or not the car has ever had a tow bar fitted. Both “On” and “On with tow bar” do the same thing of you don’t have a bar.
Hmm, I’ve always understood that that particular tow bar entry within MyLink had to be activated via service tools for it to appear...

That was based on the fact that I don’t remember seeing it before I had my tow bar fitted and the service counter guy pointed out the new setting after the tow bar was installed.

The VF accessories installation manual also states that tow bar programming is needed :rolleyes:

This Accessories Installation Manual describes the install process for the towbar and the wiring harness package within the Exterior Structural Accessories section and Electrical Accessories section respectively. Specifically, for the wiring harness install, it states "once the installation has been carried out, configure the TIM module using TIS2 Web SPS. For further details refere to Trailer Lamp Control Modul Programming Setup". Sadly, this later referenced section doesn't exist within the accessories installation manual itself or within the VF Workshop manual available as PDF

But it is what it is and if it’s always existed within MyLink, may be it should be returned to pre tow bar status via programming, so there is no difference in rear park sensor sensitivity between the two settings :rolleyes:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hmm, I’ve always understood that that particular tow bar entry within MyLink had to be activated via service tools for it to appear...

That was based on the fact that I don’t remember seeing it before I had my tow bar fitted and the service counter guy pointed out the new setting after the tow bar was installed.

The VF accessories installation manual also states that tow bar programming is needed :rolleyes:

This Accessories Installation Manual describes the install process for the towbar and the wiring harness package within the Exterior Structural Accessories section and Electrical Accessories section respectively. Specifically, for the wiring harness install, it states "once the installation has been carried out, configure the TIM module using TIS2 Web SPS. For further details refere to Trailer Lamp Control Modul Programming Setup". Sadly, this later referenced section doesn't exist within the accessories installation manual itself or within the VF Workshop manual available as PDF

But it is what it is and if it’s always existed within MyLink, may be it should be returned to pre tow bar status via programming, so there is no difference in rear park sensor sensitivity between the two settings :rolleyes:
The Magnum has the towbar menu in Mylink, but doesn't have a towbar fitted.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Dealer needs to deactivate the feature within the system, be it MyLink or BCM (or wherever the feature lives). Some modules also need to be prepaired for removal (if vin coded which i doubt the tow bar module is).
My ute had a towbar that was never used by the original owner, and I took it off and removed with module and wiring harness. I think the tow bar is still in My Link but I didn't get any fault codes from module removal.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Leave it on.
Handy in the future.
You may buy a trailer, boat or jet ski.

ugly, don't care. i'll never buy a trailer. If i need to transport something i get it delivered or can just hire a ute.

My ute had a towbar that was never used by the original owner, and I took it off and removed with module and wiring harness. I think the tow bar is still in My Link but I didn't get any fault codes from module removal.

yeah my physical bar is gone, i might just pull the module and harness. were there any missing grommets or anything like that?

Just looking to sell the full thing as i know the wiring harness and module by themselves are worth a couple hundred and selling it all as one kit would be more ideal for a buyer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, seems MyLink always has the trailer option shown so just must have missed that in the first month of ownership. But what the options do I guess depends on configuration programmin. ...

Interestingly, Tis2Web shows two hardware items for K101 Trailer Interface Control Module, each with different “operational software” part number but the same “configuration and setup” part number. What “configuration and setup” provides I can’t say as I don’t have a VXDIAG NANO to check it out. But there is no “prepare for removal” which seems generally the case unless a module stores VIN details.

So the module is a little more than just trailer lamp isolation circuitry as it provides some programmatic features for reverse sensors and number of indicator flashes. None of these features are critical so not surprised there were no fault codes being raised.

Curious what reverse sensors do on each setting and whether you still get 6 flashes or only 3 flashes on momentary push of indicator stalk after the module removal?