Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow bar removal

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Just purchased a car and it has a towbar attached. From some research there would have been a "crash bar" removed to attach the hitch?

What's the best way to have the car restored to stock? Would it be finding someone who wants the towbar who has the same car who wants it and having it swapped to their car?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
this somewhat interests me I also have a towbar on my new car and think it's hideous.

You would need to identify if it's a genuine one too (there will be a sticker inside the drivers door if it is).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Crash bar should still be on the car. It is just added to the towbar installation

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
It's genuine Holden towbar.

So there's still a chance the crash, bar is there?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm glad you asked this OP, the internet is full of "installing" one but none to get the stupid thing off and return the car to stock.

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I'm glad you asked this OP, the internet is full of "installing" one but none to get the stupid thing off and return the car to stock.
I think what I'll have to do is find someone who wants it installed so I csn give it to them and take their crisp bumper and they pay for labour and maybe give me a bit of cash to make things fair.

Otherwise let them have it and they cover expenses, worst case.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Can always get the gear from the wreakers to put it back to stock and sell the towbar and wiring harness as a kit on gumtree or ebay to get some cash back.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It's genuine Holden towbar.

So there's still a chance the crash, bar is there?
Depending on the brand of towbar if its a aftermarket then 50/50, only takes like 10min to remove max to find out.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Can always get the gear from the wreakers
I absolutely love that particular regularly-seen typo, it summons images of these godlike blokes striding around the yards blasting cars to pieces with lightning-bolts from their fingertips!
HA-HAH! I WREAK MY VENGEANCE UPON THEE, MERE EVOKE!!
:D

Is this factory tow-bar the one with the proper hitch, where the tongue can be removed?
Because if so, there's a hole in the rear bumper … might be a PITA to get a bumper without that hole that has exactly the same paint colour …
Unsure if the low-tow-capacity factory towbar puts a hole in the bumper.

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I absolutely love that particular regularly-seen typo, it summons images of these godlike blokes striding around the yards blasting cars to pieces with lightning-bolts from their fingertips!
HA-HAH! I WREAK MY VENGEANCE UPON THEE, MERE EVOKE!!
:D

Is this factory tow-bar the one with the proper hitch, where the tongue can be removed?
Because if so, there's a hole in the rear bumper … might be a PITA to get a bumper without that hole that has exactly the same paint colour …
Unsure if the low-tow-capacity factory towbar puts a hole in the bumper.

I called Holden they said they scrap the crash bar and yeah it a hole in it. I'll need a replacement bumper diffuser, not a whole bumper.