Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow Bar

OBR1EN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hey guys im about to buy a new jet ski and sick of using the old mans car for towing so was wondering is it possible to get a tow bar fitted that i can unbolt the tongue/ ball section or whatever its called and place the cap back in or not possible? Just wondering if anyone has had it done Cheers

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
been looking into this too, have seen many VZ with the tow ball removed and a silver cap over then end but im not sure if this is with genuine holden bars or after market (i assume it can be both and is just a simple cap that can be bought)

what brand u looking at

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Ive got a standard aftermarket towbar on my SV6, rated at 1600kg. paid about $180 supplied.
On mine u can unbolt the tougue but there is still part of the towbar that sticks out, so no u cant place the BB cap back on.
Dont get it from Holden they'll will charge the earth.

If ya want ill take some pics of mine!

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
i had mine on there from when i got it standard holden 1600kg one with removable tongue (as the tongue didnt come with the car) so yeah if anyone knows where u can get the tongues from, even check ebay too mine dosnt look like its to hard to install

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I'm getting the Holden Genuine 1600kg towbar fitted in 2 weeks. Admittedly, its a lot more than what PaulSV6. I could probably get it cheaper else where but I don't mind paying the extra in this case but I know there are a few good aftermarket ones.

Holden have 3 types. The 1200kg, 1600kg and 2100kg. 1200kg is of course the cheapest but the tongue is more difficult to remove. The 1600kg has the removable tongue and cover set up the OP was talking about. The 2100kg is also removable but is for serious towing; they also modify a few things to cope so its the dearest by far.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive got the 2100kg kit, it has the hayman reese styrle 50mm square hitch if thats the one you are after

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
Ive just bought a 1200kg one for $30 off a guy from work. Yeah its the one that Paul SV6 was saying about. I did want the one with the removable tongue but hey it was $30 so cant complain. Paul did you fit it your self?? He did explain how to do it but i aint that technically minded so it was kinda in one ear out the other lol. Do they bolt onto the end of the chassis rails??

Ill do abit of a search and see what i can find.

Holden quoted me $450 odd for the 1600kg towbar its self and $270 ($108/hr + 2.5hrs = Daylight Robbery) for labour. Also got a quote from Autokit in Bundaberg $495 fitted and wired.

Cheers,
Brownie82