Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
So there i was.... i was doing my banking, coming back to my car i see this elderly gentleman loking at me and starts takling to me, so i walk over. He was complaining that his wife walked into the tow bar at the back of my vehicle. It was next to the pedestrian walkway and they turned left after my car and the wife walked into my tow bar. Whole vehicle was inside the marked spot too, from front bumper to the end of the tow bar.

Then whats even better, was he was trying to tell me that having a tow bar without protection [soft protection or brightly coloured rag] is ILLEGAL. I couldn't stop laughing inside. All of a sudden he stopped with that argument when he saw the Victoria police shirt!

Found out the wife has dementia so he wakls her on the side of the vehicles and he walks closer to the moving vehicles so that she doesn't jump out into cars. In the end i apologised to the elderly lady and he acknowldged that it was partly his fault for pushing her closer to the cars.

General comments? Especially on the it being illegal to have a tow bar that isn't covered with something soft or a coloured rag of somem sort?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
pretty sure there is a law about towbars being on cars when not in use.
so what did he expect to come of the whole complaint?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
davway, it's in VSI24 from VicRoads.

Note (4):
A towbar toungue can be a dangerous projection when a trailer is not attached. The towball may also obscure the number plate. Therefore the towbar toungue and towball may need to be removed while the vehicle is not towing a trailer.

Now, my towball doesn't obscure the number plate, but i remove it anyways. As for removing the toungue, they can dream on. I am not unbolting it everytime im not towing! That involves unbolting the whole towing structure at the back and i dont have a replacement rear bumper to put on. It's not a heavy tow bar package from Holden, i can't be expected to remove it!

LOL, no idea, considering by the fact that he said illegal and the tone of voice at the start was like he wanted compensation!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The only regulation regarding towbars being removed is that the tongue and ball be removed if it obstructs the view of the number plate.

So by the old guys logic, mirrors, roobars/bullbars, aerials or anything else that sticks out past the vehicles bodyline be tagged or marked?

davway, it's in VSI24 from VicRoads.

Now, my towball doesn't obscure the number plate, but i remove it anyways. As for removing the toungue, they can dream on. I am not unbolting it everytime im not towing! That involves unbolting the whole towing structure at the back and i dont have a replacement rear bumper to put on. It's not a heavy tow bar package from Holden, i can't be expected to remove it!

LOL, no idea, considering by the fact that he said illegal and the tone of voice at the start was like he wanted compensation!

No, the tongue itself will have two bolts holding it on. Then you will just have a hole in the bumper that you can see the rest of the actual towbar through.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
First things first,you have stared in other threads that you are not a cop and now you say you have a cop shirt???Please explain.
Also it should only be two bolts need to remove in order to remove the tounge.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The only regulation regarding towbars being removed is that the tongue and ball be removed if it obstructs the view of the number plate.

So by the old guys logic, mirrors, roobars/bullbars, aerials or anything else that sticks out past the vehicles bodyline be tagged or marked?

No, the tongue itself will have two bolts holding it on. Then you will just have a hole in the bumper that you can see the rest of the actual towbar through.
Oh well, i better go remove my antenna too, just in case someone walks into it and pokes their eye out! Fat chance i'm removing it or putting bright cloth on it.

As for thw toungue, i could remove it like in the pic below, leaving a more dangerous bit of metal exposed (sharper corners). And to remove that will involve removing the whole tow bar system from the vehicle! Not happening.

towbarToungue.png

First things first,you have stared in other threads that you are not a cop and now you say you have a cop shirt???Please explain.
Also it should only be two bolts need to remove in order to remove the tounge.
Wow, someone has a good memory. Yes, i'm not a cop. And i never said i was wearing the shirt, it was sitting on my front passenger seat.

As for the main part of your post, see reply above....

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Oh well, i better go remove my antenna too, just in case someone walks into it and pokes their eye out! Fat chance i'm removing it or putting bright cloth on it.

As for thw toungue, i could remove it like in the pic below, leaving a more dangerous bit of metal exposed (sharper corners). And to remove that will involve removing the whole tow bar system from the vehicle! Not happening.

towbarToungue.png

Wow, someone has a good memory. Yes, i'm not a cop. And i never said i was wearing the shirt, it was sitting on my front passenger seat.

As for the main part of your post, see reply above....

I never said you were wearing it either.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
i hate the look of towbars and i hardly use my car for towing, if your going to leave it permanently i would whack a rubber cover on it, never know, could save your own shin one day! having said that my falcon has a towbar and i havent put a rubber pad on it... on my to do list lol there like under $5 and towbars look dog ugly anyways so i dont think people can argue that it looks uglier!

thanks for reminding me *off to supercheap tomorrow*

Status
Not open for further replies.