Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar + Gas...

buzzboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore Acclaim
OK... now I have no idea if I'm being spun a line of bullshit, or if there is a valid reason... looking for opinions/advice.

I've spoken to a few people about getting gas put on, and also about a towbar and one guy (towbar guy) has told me that I need to get the towbar done first. He said something about needing to disconnect and get the gas rerouted if we get that done first. Now, was he just trying to get my business sooner? Spinning me a line to gain my confidence? Or is there a relevant reason for this? I can't figure any reason that it would really make his job any harder...

I'm looking at buying a towbar on ebay (Troubles Wrecking, to suit VS IRS Sedan, unless someone local to Adelaide is selling one for a reasonable price, hint, hint!) and fit it myself... does the standard wiring kit (factory model with flat plug) plug straight into the wiring loom in the VS?

Thanks.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The bracketed APA LPG tanks share a couple of the same mounting points/holes in the boot floor as the tow bar. That will be the reason.

I think that the only difference between the IRS and live axle tow bars is in the mounting kit. There are longer bolts and spacers included in the IRS kit to allow mounting through a box section of the floor that the IRS cradle bolts onto. Maybe you can find one more local and buy an IRS fitting kit from GMH - if it's still available?

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
Depending on which towbar you go for, a HD hitch will have a steel plate that goes right underneath where your LPG tank will go. In some cases, having LPG fitted will restrict what type of towbar you can fit. Standard 1600kg towbars sometimes don't have as large a support bracket.

buzzboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore Acclaim
Thanks for that guys... I guess I'll be doing the towbar first, and the gas guys can cope... lol!

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
yes mate get the towbar done 1st> then the gas...your gas man was 100%rite....cheers....
Thanks for that guys... I guess I'll be doing the towbar first, and the gas guys can cope... lol!