Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar?

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
What is the genuine brand for a holden vz executive towbar?

also where is a cheap place to get one installed around kilsyth, Victoria?

It will be used to tow a jetskii, trailer, possibly a boat as well! So heavy duty?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've towed plenty of PWC and you need a very light duty one for that. Depending on the type and model about 500kg all up. Boat might be a bit different though depending on weight etc.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I picked up a genuine 2100kg rated towbar from the wreckers for $150. This included the bar, extra bracing and all. Mine you I didn't worry about putting the bracing on as I was primarily using a 750kg trailer just to move house.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Oh and the genuine bars are stamped Hayman Reece.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
A tow bar obtained from ANY 'reputable' tow bar manufacturer will be OK. Make sure that it has the compliance plate/sticker affixed. There is no such thing as a 'genuine' Holden tow bar. They have them supplied from outside manufacturers. I suggest, for the small extra cost, that you get a 2100 kg unit installed. Far more flexibility in case you may wish to tow a boat, caravan etc.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
In NZ almost all genuine towbars are manufactured by Best Bars. I have forgotten who does them for australia. Best bars tried getting into the Australian market but had some issue, this also slips my mind. Probably because of the price but they are a quality bar with quality bolts etc. You can buy cheap, but i wouldnt trust the welds and usually not as thick steel used.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
A tow bar obtained from ANY 'reputable' tow bar manufacturer will be OK. Make sure that it has the compliance plate/sticker affixed. There is no such thing as a 'genuine' Holden tow bar. They have them supplied from outside manufacturers. I suggest, for the small extra cost, that you get a 2100 kg unit installed. Far more flexibility in case you may wish to tow a boat, caravan etc.

The bar I got actually has the Holden GM part number sticker on and Hayman Reece on the same label. This was 1 that could be ordered directly off Holden.
That's what I mean by genuine bar.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
I've got a vy genuine one. 1600kg that is up for sale. $100. I took it out in 15 minutes. Should take about the same to fit. I'm in Victoria.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
The bar I got actually has the Holden GM part number sticker on and Hayman Reece on the same label. This was 1 that could be ordered directly off Holden.
That's what I mean by genuine bar.

Holden don't make there bars though, they just rebadge them with there own label. Usually you will see on that label who actually made it.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
A lot of workshops that fit mufflers seem to do towbars as a major sideline.
There's plenty of good brands. When I've had the job done, I've found an hour with the yellow pages to be time well spent.
When asking for a price - be clear about the load rating; whether the tongue is detachable ("Hayman-Reese style", but they're not the only ones who make them); whether wiring and towball are included.
I've always had the highest-rated towbar that was available, on the basis that I don't know today what use I might have for it next year.

Hayman-Reese have a generally-good reputation (my brother disagrees), but it seems to me that you pay a premium for the name.
Second-hand is a good option - there's not much on a tow-bar to wear out, and they're easy to inspect.

If you have parking sensors, there is a wiring issue.