Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing 1.25T boat across the Nullabor ... aftermarket oil cooler?

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
The Sierra was driven over and pulled a 5x3 trailer. I didn't tow the Sierra. I mentioned it only in relation to Nullabor winds - it has all the aerodynamics of a brick and we had to push into those headwinds all the way across. It was a May crossing.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
How much fun are those Sierra's. Great little cars.

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
They are indeed. I haven't driven it in almost 5 years (kids...) but can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's taken us on some great adventures :cool:

Started life like this:
tYOMVr1.jpg

Now sits like this and goes pretty much anywhere:
oPCLX8H.jpg

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
They are indeed. I haven't driven it in almost 5 years (kids...) but can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's taken us on some great adventures :cool:

Nice set up.

That would probably 'frighten my Triton' off road with those tyres and a solid front axle.

IMG_0272.JPG

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That top photo looks like the beach carpark at Aldinga

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The Sierra was self propelled.
Yeah I thought it was pretty obvious I was spinning the post around & just being a dick. :)

Since we've segued (and totally going against my intense hatred of all things SUV & 4WD ... well, because, frankly, you couldn't drive one of these unless you really wanted to offroad it! :)), the new Jimny gets really great reviews for doing EXACTLY what it says on the packet. Fun little jigger in exactly the same way as Sierra/Jimny before it. And pretty good value compared to pretty much anything else you use regularly for beach or sand runs.

Having said that, a mate somehow ended-up with a Sierra as a company-car for 6 months or so, 25 years or so ago now. As a car to drive around the city it was pretty awful, made the first-shape 3spd auto Nimbus seem like the height of automotive excellence by comparison, and the first-gen Magna totally smashed it. :)

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
That top photo looks like the beach carpark at Aldinga

Well spotted ;)

That would probably 'frighten my Triton' off road with those tyres and a solid front axle.

31x10.5's, locked front and rear, lowered transfer case gearing, lifted transfer case, 2" body lift, modified suspension, etc ... she's pretty capable. Will outdrive a moderately tickled GQ or 100 series on most terrain.

Trouble is that she makes driving stuff too easy, if anything. Nothing looks impressive anymore. Just lock one or both front hubs, drop it into 4L, hit the fast idle switch and steer.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
With my older cars - VN V8, VP V8 (HSV Enhanced), VS V8 (HSV Enhanced), I always fitted the 2100kg factory tow bars, and they all came with a transmission oil cooler as part of the package (as well as strut reinforcements in the boot). I would definitely get a cooler.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
Well spotted ;)

31x10.5's, locked front and rear, lowered transfer case gearing, lifted transfer case, 2" body lift, modified suspension, etc ... she's pretty capable. Will outdrive a moderately tickled GQ or 100 series on most terrain.

Trouble is that she makes driving stuff too easy, if anything. Nothing looks impressive anymore. Just lock one or both front hubs, drop it into 4L, hit the fast idle switch and steer.

Nice articulation there