Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

towing 600-700kg caravan with a VY-VZ commodore

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV -Redline, Herron White.
Im borrowing my mates commodore to tow a caravan, just want to check that it should be ok. The caravan is about 30 years old, weighs probably 600-700kgs. Someone told me something about a trans cooler or something, does anyone have any info on this, would be much appreciated.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
600-700kgs will be fine mate. Just remember to adjust your driving for the extra weight.

A trans cooler is about $120 upwards plus fittings, just helps keep the transmission oil cooler. Towing makes the tranny generate more heat, mostly from the torque converter when your accelerating. Once your cruising down the highway in top gear it will lock-up and all be nice and cool.

PJB

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Commodore wagon
Hi,

Wanting to tow a 20 ft Windsor caravan with our VZ 2005 commodore wagon. What is the minimum requirement for tow bar? Any suggestions?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
When driving have the trans in power mode and lock it into 3rd.

600-700kg in not really a lot, we tow a horse float that weighs close to that and you can't even feel it, until you add my 750kg horse in that is!

I have a trans cooler fitted, but that is because I tow a fair bit.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Hi,

Wanting to tow a 20 ft Windsor caravan with our VZ 2005 commodore wagon. What is the minimum requirement for tow bar? Any suggestions?

Probably looking at a 1600kg tow bar, maybe the 2000kg+.

I have towed a 2000kg plus trailer (fully loaded) with my VX Berlina and no issues, doesn't even have an oil cooler, but it is a V8.
You should be fine with the right setup. I assume your wagon is Auto, V6. Just get the right capacity tow bar and make sure the trailer has brakes, if they have electric brakes you will need a controller in the car as well.

Also if it weighs a lot, get some air bag helper springs in the back of the wagon if you can, makes a massive difference.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
I used to to my boat that exeeds 1,000 with no cooler on a VY. They said they don't need them and mine never faulted for 200,000km or so.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Airbags are dangerous when towing. You need a weight distribution hitch if there is too much ball weight. Much safer and tows a whole lot better.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Airbags are dangerous when towing. You need a weight distribution hitch if there is too much ball weight. Much safer and tows a whole lot better.

Very good point. Mine was fine but everything else was setup for heavy towing as well. Weight distribution hitches are also an easier solution.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
We regularly tow a home made camper trailer and pully the 700kg is no problems at all with the standard V6 engine and auto. We do however have an adjustable Pedders towing package and the V6 does seem a little under powered but as long as your willing to sit back and don't overtake anyone then everything will be fine.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Hi,

There are 3 ratings available from GM and similar from the aftermarket such as Hayman Reece.
1200kg (bolt on tongue), 1600kg and 2100kg (both square tube insert).
What is the weight on the van? Choose the appropriate one.
The max weight on the ball should not exceed 160kgs.

I have a load distribution hitch but it's really only necessary with a car on a tandem or in any case where there is a lot of weight on the ball causing the car to squat at the rear.
Once you hook the van to the car, you should be able to tell immediately if you need one.
In any case, an LDH will always improve handling and how well the car tows.