Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing electrics

bushiedel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi,

Just acquired a 06 VE Berlina with tow bar. Tried attaching trailer - electrics known to be good on it - no joy. Took car in for remedy and they said it had been wired up wrong and was now fixed.

Tried again with no joy.

Have checked wiring at the tow bar socket - that looks OK. With lights / indicators on, volts appear on the right pins... BUT the most I get even with the engine running is less than 10v.

I plugged in a 7 flat to 6 pin round adapter and located the earth and rear lights pins. (easier to get at pins)

Connected wire from earth pin on round 6 pin to earth pin on trailer plug and placed rear light wire against correct pin on trailer plug. I can hear a buzzing sound coming from somewhere near the rear driver's side tail light. Not even a glim from the trailer lights.

Questions....

What should the voltage be - I would expect around 13.5v with the engine running? and What is the buzzing??

All help / advice appreciated.

bushiedel.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
if its the genuine harness, check and see if the buzzing noise is comming from a black box mid way along the drivers side behind the boot liner, you will have to remove this to see,

check to see if it has a good earth and what not, also if its the genuine module take it to holden for warrenty work

bushiedel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks...

Hi,

Thanks for that. I'll have a look see.

What is the black box? Is it a voltage regulator (adds volts when there is the extra trailer drain?) Or?

I think it's going to be a warranty claim... finding time to get it there is always the problem.

regards
bushiedel

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Hi,

Thanks for that. I'll have a look see.

What is the black box? Is it a voltage regulator (adds volts when there is the extra trailer drain?) Or?

I think it's going to be a warranty claim... finding time to get it there is always the problem.

regards
bushiedel

it gets a series of inputs from the various light circuits and amplifies them seperatly, so it has like 7 relays in one

bushiedel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks

Hi,

Will get it checked in ASAP. So many thanks for the info.

best regards
bushiedel