Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing mirrors

Roger VF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon
I’m considering trying to fit some replacement mirrors like people are fitting to 4x4’s to my VF wagon. Brands available like Clearview, MSA, OCAM for example. None say they have models to suit but some of the ones advertised look like they could be adapted to suit. Has anyone heard of someone doing this? There is a review on https://www.caravancampingsales.com...w-test-holden-commodore-sportwagon-sv6-41309/
that tells just what a great tow vehicle this car is. With trailer stability control and 2100kg capacity, it makes it better than most mid-sized SUV’s but the mirrors are no use at all and the clip on ones are not much better.

Attachments

• D04248E6-9F37-45D1-9A54-C393AAA73942.jpeg
    D04248E6-9F37-45D1-9A54-C393AAA73942.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 74
  • 0F70EB87-C415-4923-8E99-C7477912271F.jpeg
    0F70EB87-C415-4923-8E99-C7477912271F.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 72
  • A18DD130-EBFB-4394-8BB7-AF52D9AE16C6.jpeg
    A18DD130-EBFB-4394-8BB7-AF52D9AE16C6.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 88

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You need the mirror to extend out when driving so nothing will be available of the shelf to fit (other than the clip on types which seem like garbage)…

So consider looking at the GM truck mirror options and check what’s involved in retrofit those onto your SV6. There are various options for various models, some of the newer ones with cool features, so its a bit of a web search on us truck sites… Haven’t heard of anyone going it. It won’t be be plug and play if you want some of the electrical features but could be an interesting project

And some of the videos within the following look interesting though you’ve probably seen these…

Another solution could be to use cameras attached to each standard external rear vision mirror with displays placed inside a 3D printed housings that sits on the dash next to the each A-pillar. You could also have a rear mounted camera on the trailer that displays via the cabin rear vision mirror. Such could be an easier retrofit as compared to a big arse mirror and could leave the vehicle looking more standard (and less ugly duckling)..

But to answer your question, no I haven’t heard anyone doing such to their VF wagon.

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
You need the mirror to extend out when driving so nothing will be available of the shelf to fit (other than the clip on types which seem like garbage)…

So consider looking at the GM truck mirror options and check what’s involved in retrofit those onto your SV6. There are various options for various models, some of the newer ones with cool features, so its a bit of a web search on us truck sites… Haven’t heard of anyone going it. It won’t be be plug and play if you want some of the electrical features but could be an interesting project

And some of the videos within the following look interesting though you’ve probably seen these…

[/URL]

Another solution could be to use cameras attached to each standard external rear vision mirror with displays placed inside a 3D printed housings that sits on the dash next to the each A-pillar. You could also have a rear mounted camera on the trailer that displays via the cabin rear vision mirror. Such could be an easier retrofit as compared to a big arse mirror and could leave the vehicle looking more standard (and less ugly duckling)..

But to answer your question, no I haven’t heard anyone doing such to their VF wagon.

I have one of those cameras fitted to the rear of our camper trailer - https://www.jaycar.com.au/wired-rev...os=5&queryId=c56b9851ae9f8b3d7815dd9487ac99f8

I just (carefully) sit the screen in the front console pocket and run the cable through the back of the wagon when needed. It works a treat.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have one of those cameras fitted to the rear of our camper trailer - https://www.jaycar.com.au/wired-rev...os=5&queryId=c56b9851ae9f8b3d7815dd9487ac99f8

I just (carefully) sit the screen in the front console pocket and run the cable through the back of the wagon when needed. It works a treat.
I was thinking of getting something like that. I was thinking l might be able wire it into my aftermarket head unit. One of the option inputs. Option inputs would normally be for screens for the back of the head rest. For rear passengers.

Roger VF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon

[/URL]

Skylarking. Thanks. Some of the rear view cameras look like a good idea. I’ve been looking at one from https://safetydave.com.au/ but they say the monitor won’t stay clipped onto the curved bottom of the VF mirror. Might just have to mount an extra screen somewhere. Thanks again.