Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with VXII Acclaim Wagon

joemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx2 acclaim wagon
Will be towing a heavy duty camper trailer (and 4 kids - OK wife too!) which is approx 700kg loaded but is legal up to 1250 (10" electric drums fitted). Looking at regular short trips (400k or less) and occasional long trips (Darwin etc).
Any suggestions or comment on whether I need to consider suspension modifications or transmission/oil coolers.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
i think the suspension would cope with it but if i was going to get anything i would get this
https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/Pedders/Default.aspx?ProdCode=805006

Heavy Duty Towing Package

Pedders Heavy Duty Towing Package

If you are towing heavy loads or towing on a consistent basis this is the package for you. These kits have been designed with a "total vehicle" focus in mind. The rear will be set to handle the load while the front of the vehicle (often forgotten in this form of set up) will be equipped with Pedders gear to aid in the handling and steer ability.

Retail $1,633.50KT

Item Code Description Qty Availability
12493 12493 Polyair Rear Coil Kit 1 Available
429005-20 *Pedders Swaybar 1 Contact for Availability
5803 5803 Pedders Rubber Bush 1 Available
7120 7120 Heavy Duty Coil Spring 2 Available
7589 7589 Heavy Duty Coil Spring 2 Available
8985L 8985L C/GAS SEALED STRUT 1 Available
8985R 8985R C/GAS SEALED STRUT 1 Available
9042 GSR9042 Gas Sports Ryder 2 Available

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Heat kills these autos. I would defintely be running a trans cooler if I was towing that much regularly. Electric brakes which I see you have are a must. I would also suggest HD springs (or load assist bags) in the rear. Load assist bags will cost more, but of course they will give a better ride when not towing vs HD springs.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had that combo of comfort gas and sports Ryder shocks on a commy before. Is was ok but I would go sports Ryder all round if I did it again. They are a bit firm to begin with but soften up quick enough. That was with standard springs.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Good tips guys, but I don't think he needs to know this anymore as he posted this 7 years ago.

But FWIW Load assist airbags with stock springs at the back worked well on my VX Wagon when I was towing a loaded 2000kg trailer up the eastern coast, and back down, then back up again.
No other changes from the factory towbar setup. Front height was at FE2, 18inch alloys on fronts, 15inch steel rims on back.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
7 years ago, WTF who looks at the dates.

Last edited: